PDA

View Full Version : One pint straight alcohol

Don Morris
01-18-2013, 1:44 PM
My Swedish cabinet maker father-in-law, now gone some 25 years, made a traditional Swedish drink called Glogg. Just a couple weeks ago my wifes mother (age 98) found his original receipe, stained by drips of Glogg. One of the ingredients was: One pint of straight alcohol. I really would love to make a batch of it up, but short of making my own still, any ideas on how to acquire a pint of straight alcohol? "Tack" (pronounced more like "Tahk")...Swedish for Thanks.

Dan Hintz
01-18-2013, 1:56 PM
Everclear?

Darius Ferlas
01-18-2013, 2:19 PM
Some States allow one of the strongest spirit available in the US (http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/spirit-state-approves-192-proof-spirytus-allowing-new-yorkers-buzz-article-1.183215) so just check your liquor store. In fact, this is one of the most popular items among Swedes shopping in Poland, and a very popular ingredient of many alcoholic mixes. Few drink it straight, though I tried many years ago. Takes your breath away. Literally.

It's strong, so don't drink it straight without knowing what you're doing.

Not sure about MD laws, but you can also get from:
Rich`s Foods and Liquor
4747 N. Harlem ave
Harwood Heights,IL
(708) 867-5203

Kevin Bourque
01-18-2013, 2:27 PM
Why is is that people who live in the coldest climates have the strongest liquor?

Mel Fulks
01-18-2013, 2:53 PM
I just looked up some recipes for glogg ,they vary a lot and some call for steeping.If Everclear is not available I would just use 100 proof vodka and not steep the mixture. I'm betting few will complain

Myk Rian
01-18-2013, 3:50 PM
Look for grain alcohol

Jim Becker
01-18-2013, 3:52 PM
Look for grain alcohol

Bingo! .................

Glenn Vaughn
01-18-2013, 4:03 PM
Do a search for Glogg - many recipes - most call for wine. My wife makes it every year dor New Year's.

Phil Thien
01-18-2013, 4:12 PM
Look for grain alcohol

What is the different between "grain alcohol" and 190-proof Everclear?

Dave Anderson NH
01-18-2013, 4:34 PM
Only the name Phil.

Jason Roehl
01-18-2013, 5:32 PM
Another vote for Everclear. It's the only spirit I've ever seen in liquor stores (or grocery stores) of a proof higher than Bacardi 151 (151 proof, or 75.5%). As someone else said, Everclear is 190 proof, or 95% pure ethanol. The other 5% is presumably water, as it is very difficult to distill alcohol much higher and keep it there, as ethanol is hydrophilic (loves water), and will absorb moisture out of the air.

Mel Fulks
01-18-2013, 5:47 PM
Some states are no longer allowing sale of Everclear .Has to do with fires and explosions.

Charles McKinley
01-19-2013, 12:46 AM
In Pennsylvania it had more to do with trash can punch at college parties and the alcohol piosoning the comes from over indulging. Not that I would know anything about that. I think it is still available in Ohio.

Peter Kelly
01-19-2013, 1:32 AM
In Sweden the pint of straight alcohol for klassisk stark glögg = vodka. Lots of people make it with just wine though. The Danish version is made with either rum or aquavit and cognac. http://www.tasteline.com/drinkrecept/klassisk_glogg

Do not use Everclear in glögg, wouldn't be good.

Pat Barry
01-19-2013, 8:59 AM
Traditional Scandinavian 'pure' alcohol is called Aquavit, Akvavit - the water of life. Or, you could go down to North Carolina / Virginia and find Tim or Tickle or Jim Tom - they could fix you up with some moonshine.

jim vancampen
01-19-2013, 9:09 AM
Moonshine is now legal in CT. We have a bunch of distilleries starting up. I don't know how it can be called moonshine if it's legal, but it sounds good.

curtis rosche
01-19-2013, 1:08 PM
everclear has a cherry taste to it i thought :rolleyes: mighta had some twice..

You could always just make a small still. easy enough to do, and legal as long as you dont sell your product.

Peter Kelly
01-19-2013, 6:31 PM
everclear has a cherry taste to it i thought :rolleyes: mighta had some twice..

You could always just make a small still. easy enough to do, and legal as long as you dont sell your product.Without paying taxes, filing a bond, extensive paperwork and a subsequent inspection home distilling actually isn't legal, even for personal consumption.

http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml#s7

Not saying you couldn't do it. Just not actually legal.

curtis rosche
01-19-2013, 7:21 PM
Without paying taxes, filing a bond, extensive paperwork and a subsequent inspection home distilling actually isn't legal, even for personal consumption.

http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml#s7

Not saying you couldn't do it. Just not actually legal.

just call it strong beer :D

Tom Fischer
01-20-2013, 7:24 AM
Why is is that people who live in the coldest climates have the strongest liquor?

I used to work with a Russian national when I worked for HSBC Bank. The guy told me that the first thing the Soviet did at the beginning (or to prepare) for the war in the late '30s was to nationalize all the vodka production. Must have figured they couldn't get through that one if everybody was cold sober.