PDA

View Full Version : Best tool to cut baseboard

jeffrey bailey
01-18-2013, 12:39 PM
I am currently building some bookshelves that are part of a built-in. I am going to cut the baseboard so I can get them close to the wall. I would like to cut the baseboard without removing it. Any suggestions on what tool to use to cut it with?

Bryan Cramer
01-18-2013, 12:46 PM
What about one of those vibrating muti-tools like this (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00935078000P?vName=Tools&cName=CordedHandheldPowerTools&sName=Oscillating%20Multi-Toolsmv=rr)? That is what I recomend.

Ole Anderson
01-18-2013, 1:50 PM
That would get my vote. Wish I had bought one instead of buying an armstrong powered door jamb saw for my recent basement flooring project. Many uses. Every project deserves a new tool.

Bruce Kohl
01-18-2013, 1:51 PM
I agree with Bryan. Multi-tool with a cutting blade would be the way to go. I have one from Harbor Freight and it works just fine.

Richard Coers
01-18-2013, 1:59 PM
Japanese pull saw. You don't mention the height or thickness of the baseboard, but if it's like the ranch molding in my house, you can cut it with a hand saw in a minute. Some Japanese saws have different tooth patterns at the end for starting a stop cut like that, but even the cheap ones at the borg can be modified with a tin snips to get teeth all the way to the end. Heavy knife and chisel can also help clean the cut at the floor.

Kevin Bourque
01-18-2013, 2:28 PM
Another vote for the oscillating muti-tool. I have a Dremel version which works fine, but gets hot very quickly.

Jason Roehl
01-18-2013, 6:04 PM
Another vote for the oscillating tool. Mark your line on the baseboard, then use a scrap block of wood as a fence. Keep the tool moving in the cut or you'll overheat and wear out the blade. They're very handy tools...

Harvey Miller
01-18-2013, 6:16 PM
I've used a Japanese pull saw, as Richard suggests. For a couple cuts why spend the money for a Multi-Master clone?

Jason Roehl
01-18-2013, 6:46 PM
I've used a Japanese pull saw, as Richard suggests. For a couple cuts why spend the money for a Multi-Master clone?

Why not? ;) It's a good excuse to buy a very useful power tool. Not that an excuse is necessarily needed...

Ronald Blue
01-18-2013, 9:57 PM
Definitely the multi tool. You will find other uses for it too.

Sam Murdoch
01-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Japanese pull saw. You don't mention the height or thickness of the baseboard, but if it's like the ranch molding in my house, you can cut it with a hand saw in a minute. Some Japanese saws have different tooth patterns at the end for starting a stop cut like that, but even the cheap ones at the borg can be modified with a tin snips to get teeth all the way to the end. Heavy knife and chisel can also help clean the cut at the floor.

The multi tool is the advanced and much more expensive solution but I have used Richard's & Harvey's method many times with good results. Unless you are in the remodeling business or are planning on redoing lots of rooms in your own house I think that you would find the right hand saw to be more useful in the long run.

But - "Why not? ;) It's a good excuse to buy a very useful power tool." Jason makes a a point too :D

johnny means
01-18-2013, 11:42 PM
I would go with the Jap saw. They make a very clean, precise cut. Would consider myself very skilled with tools of all types of WW tools and find it difficult to get a quality cut with an OMT. I would go out and buy an OMT, just in case.:D

Charles McKinley
01-19-2013, 1:22 AM
Multi tool with a good blade. For your task I like the circular blade with the flat spot on it or the wider wood cutting blade. Bought a Fien before the other came out and has been worth the purchase.

I would really like a source of quality blade that don't cost an arm and a leg. The HF blade I tried was junk. Dremmel and Bosh are good but are almost as much at the Fien.

Just used the carbide rasp on it it shape a newer club like Disston handle to something that fits my hand.

Rich Engelhardt
01-19-2013, 6:56 AM
A cheap Harbor Freight MF tool is what I use.

I picked up some Imperial blades for it. They do a good job. Pricy though. I only use them for good work where appearance is a requirement.

MF tools are like pneumatic brad nailers. Once you use one, you wonder how you ever got along w/out one.

jeffrey bailey
01-19-2013, 8:35 AM
Thanks everybody. Ordered this last night.

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/845534/845534007589lg.jpg

Bob Reda
01-19-2013, 8:43 AM
A man after my own heart! A $300 tool for a $2 job :) I love it

Bob

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Backsaw or dovetail saw...............Rod.

jeffrey bailey
01-19-2013, 11:50 AM
A man after my own heart! A $300 tool for a $2 job :) I love it

Bob

Actually Lowes had it for $49.95. Originally $149.

Tom Ewell
01-19-2013, 12:11 PM
You will not regret your purchase,

I do remodel, picked up a Multimaster well before the clone wars and found this tool extremely useful for a lot of tasks that didn't come to mind until I actually had it.

Decent blades are the bugger tho, expensive no matter what source.

There used to be a source on ebay that got the expense down to 'reasonable' for bulk packs of (10+) Japanese toothed round hole arbor blades but I think Fein stomped on them.

Now that everyone is making these things there seems to be a little more competition for the consumables.

scott vroom
01-19-2013, 12:37 PM
If the backing is drywall I'd use the $6.95 solution....punch it through the DW at the top and cut 'er down :)