PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Bailey 5 1/2 Refurb

Scott Coffelt
04-30-2005, 5:03 PM
I bought this baby from John Weber (one of his garage sale finds), she was completely painted black and pretty rusty and pitted. I got the sole flat and had to round the edges some to eliminate a bunch of pitting. I struipped her completely and recoated with about 10 coats of Krylon High Heat paint #1618.

The iron needs to be replaced as it has too much pitting around the top to be pretty, but she is a user. I got a nice good shaving on some QS oak.

I still need to put a clear coat on the tote and knob, they were black and I just cleaned the clear coat off and hit with some stain. I also need to get a new front tote screw, the one with it was not correct. I have placed a temporary screw in, but it is a fine thread, so I did not tighten. The sole still has some pitting and staining, but I got most of it off.

Plane refurb number 2 in the books.

Jack Diemer
04-30-2005, 8:28 PM
I got a 5 1/2 you could fix up. ;)

John Strait
04-30-2005, 8:48 PM
Scott,

Looks like you did a real good job!! I also like your refurbed 78. Think I will do the same with mine. How do you like the paint you used?

John

Scott Coffelt
05-01-2005, 12:46 AM
The paint was fine, I had hoped that it would have more gloss than it did. It seems fairly durable. I know the paint Terry H. uses seems even stronger, but I was not able to find locally.

John Strait
05-01-2005, 6:45 AM
Thanks Scott, I have one of Terry's refurbs and really like the finish. The Seymour brand is not sold everywhere and is not as easy to find. I may resort to buying it by mail order and having it shipped.

John

Terry Hatfield
05-01-2005, 8:38 AM
Scott,

That looks great!!! Welcome to the slope. :D

t