PDA

View Full Version : Old plane

steven c newman
01-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Been looking around for a 4.5 plane. Don't have the budget for the LNs, or LVs. Spotted one "decent" one on ebay the other day. Called a Seigley 4-1/2c. Seigley? Iron has a slot that is offset to the side. Single iron, lever cap has a bolt, instead of the flip-up lever. Some wear on the handles. Looking at maybe $21 +S&H. Seigley?? :confused:

Zach Dillinger
01-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Siegley's are pretty good planes. I have a #5C and a #6C in that make. Or had, I may have sold them, can't remember. Irons take a nice keen edge and they work fine.

Adam Cherubini
01-18-2013, 12:18 PM
What's the advantage of a 4-1/2 again? Why not just a run of the mill #4?

steven c newman
01-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Rumor has it that a 4-1/2 has a wider iron. About 1/4" to 3/8" wider. About like a short bodied 5-1/2....

Besides, I already have four "Run-of-the-mill" old #4s. Includes a pair of grooved bottom ones...

Jim Koepke
01-18-2013, 1:22 PM
Good luck with finding a 4-1/2 Steven. Mine gets used often. At other times my #3 or one of the #4s gets used.

Wider planes are handy on wider work.

jtk

steven c newman
01-18-2013, 2:00 PM
Depends on IF I win that auction, or not. Right around $21 + S&H. Find out this weekend..

David Weaver
01-18-2013, 2:06 PM
It'll probably go higher now!

Zach Dillinger
01-18-2013, 2:20 PM
It'll probably go higher now!

In that case, for Steven's benefit... Siegley planes are terrible. Nobody should ever, ever waste their money on them. They'll kill your dog, burn your house down and steal your car. Bad news, those Siegley planes.

Jim Belair
01-18-2013, 2:31 PM
In that case, for Steven's benefit... Siegley planes are terrible. Nobody should ever, ever waste their money on them. They'll kill your dog, burn your house down and steal your car. Bad news, those Siegley planes.

OK, I wasn't looking for one but now you've talked me into it Zach. Let's see, that's S-i-e-g-l.... ;)

Greg Wease
01-18-2013, 5:02 PM
I agree with Adam. I convinced myself that I "needed" a 4 1/2 but the extra weight + extra width = more work and no perceivable difference in the surface.

If you insist on a wide-body, you might look for a plane that will at least accept a modern blade should you ever need to. I don't think the Siegley will.

Zach Dillinger
01-18-2013, 5:35 PM
I agree with Adam. I convinced myself that I "needed" a 4 1/2 but the extra weight + extra width = more work and no perceivable difference in the surface. If you insist on a wide-body, you might look for a plane that will at least accept a modern blade should you ever need to. I don't think the Siegley will.You're right, the Siegley won't take a modern blade. Fortunately, it doesn't need one. It will work brilliantly as it.

Greg Wease
01-18-2013, 5:59 PM
You're right, the Siegley won't take a modern blade. Fortunately, it doesn't need one. It will work brilliantly as it.

Your ebay experience must be better than mine--I have received too many pitted blades that needed to be replaced. Just saying.

steven c newman
01-18-2013, 6:19 PM
Ebay planes, with ebay irons, in use251607251608251609 maybe I just get lucky???

Jason Coen
01-18-2013, 7:17 PM
What's the advantage of a 4-1/2 again?

Dunno, I'm still trying to figure that one out.

steven c newman
01-18-2013, 7:38 PM
Easier to use as a smoother than the 5-1/2 and the sixes I have been using? I even have a #5 jack set up as a smoother. Maybe a shorter one would be easier to push around?

James Taglienti
01-18-2013, 9:36 PM
I have a K 4 1/2 that i like for prepping cabinet face frame parts (1 3/4 - 2" wide) cause it can get them in one swipe even with a camber. If only the dang thing was a couple inches shorter it would be my favorite

John T Barker
01-18-2013, 11:27 PM
My first plane was a 4-1/2...a Record. Since then I have bought a 6, a 3, and a bunch of 4's (oh, and a 2, but that's just so I could brag) and the plane I use the most is the 3. Owning a planer and jointer means I'm not really using them for their intended use most of the time so I usually go with the one that is most comfortable in my hands. The 4-1/2 always felt wrong.

Btw, these planes were all bought used, Stanleys from the days of Lancaster County flea markets. Clean them up, sharpen the blade and they work like a charm. If I wasn't so lazy I'd get a Hock blade and really make them sing.

steven c newman
01-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Never have had a #4-1/2 in my shop. Might be a change from using that #5-1/2 I do have. IF I get lucky this weekend, I will find out in about a week IF I like them. Seigley is a single iron plane. With a nice thick, but tapered iron. We'll see.

If I don't get lucky, I do have a back up plan going on.

Terry Beadle
01-19-2013, 1:19 PM
A 4 1/2 is nice to have but not required. It's wider ( 3/8 ths ) blade doesn't really add a material amount to the process of flattening a surface IMO.

I'd recommend a #4 or a #3 Stanley. They are readily available used and since there's so much after market support for them, especially in replacement blades, for the $20 you'll spend plus shipping, you'll have a better place to start. I recommend a Hock blade. I have other blades and they are great too but Ron Hock gives great service, writes great books, and generally has been the leader in metalurgical improvements to plane blades over time. ( Ron, send me scraps and I'll keep up the pimping...hoot! )

Seriously, a stanley or record is a great starting point and cheap too. An after market blade, properly sharpened and mounted will make that $20 plane work like a $300 model. I've several #5's and a Record 7 that I've used for years with great results. I also have a #3 Clifton that I wouldn't trade for anything...works great !

All that said, I have a $10 #33 ( which is a very small plane about the size of a #2 ) bought from Harbor Freight that after fettled does a great job. So the point is, you can take that Seigley can also be made to sing but not as easily as a Stanley or Record IMO.

Which ever path you take, enjoy the process because that's where the fun is IMO !

steven c newman
01-19-2013, 1:40 PM
A few of my #4s in action ( I have four of them) 251691251692a Union #4G, and a Stanley type11, #4c. I also have a pair of #3s251693251694a Union #3 (love this plane!) and a Handyman#1203. That H-F #33 Windsor is now my scrub plane, as I have re-ground the iron into a 3" radius. One hungry little beast now.

Zach Dillinger
01-19-2013, 7:18 PM
Again, I will say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Siegley iron. Heavy, tapered, good vintage steel. Like most planes, replacing the iron is totally and wholly unnecessary for getting a great working plane. I have experience with the Siegley type and they are fine planes. The design is good. There is nothing that will make tuning more difficult, unless your idea of tuning is to simply slap a new iron in it. Your only concern is if the iron is damaged or rusted beyond repair. If it is, you can find another Siegley iron. They aren't all that rare. Are they the best planes ever made? No. But they will work extremely well for you as long as the example you get is in good shape.

steven c newman
01-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Auction is about over, price went way over what I had available. Well, maybe next time one comes up, eh?

Jim Koepke
01-21-2013, 4:08 PM
Auction is about over, price went way over what I had available. Well, maybe next time one comes up, eh?

For me, the #4-1/2 was one of the more elusive planes to win on ebay. One day my wife and I were driving down US 101 through Oregon. I picked up a plane in an antique shop that had the blade sticking out of the bottom. When trying to adjust it back to a safe position, the adjuster worked backwards. Upon a closer look it turned out to be an early (type 6 with original blade) #4-1/2. The tag said $30, didn't think twice. No sales tax in Oregon made it just that much sweeter.

Another elusive plane, in my price range, was an early #60(-1/2), with the larger ramp at the mouth. Finally gave up trying for a vintage model, bought an LN #60 and have been very satisfied with its performance.

jtk

steven c newman
01-22-2013, 8:58 PM
Well, Itried my usual luck in getting a Junior jack for the shop. Usual luck means it didn't happen. Not quite as bad as the Seigley. A Millers falls #11. Someone else must know about these types of planes. On the "rebound" ( plan C) I did "win" a Millers Falls #8. I have had a M-F #9 at one time, then went Stanley Planes, and sold the #9. This time, I may just keep the #8, as I seem to like the size. A #8 is about the same as a Stanley #3. Should be here next weekend.

Selling an older "parts Plane' at the moment, to raise a little cash for a M-F #22. Parts Plane at one time was a KK7. Now Bobtailed down to just under 20" long, it has a Union style frog, and a Stanley Clipped corner logo iron. I had to replace the handles, but all else came with the plane when I bought it. The missing length was missing then. Kind of made to nose heavy for me. It preformed great otherwise as a decent Jointer plane.