PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #78 Refurbish

Scott Coffelt
04-30-2005, 4:56 PM
I did a little refurb action on a #78. I got this one from our neighbors up north and shipping cost more then the plane. Good thing is it was complete. It is a USA model, but has a Canada blade. I'll correct that one of these days when I buy a new one from Lie Nielsen.

Anyways, she was really rusty and had about 50% japanning when I got it. I decided to do a complete refurb. I used Krylon high heat paint, the paint did flatten some when baked.

This was my first attempt at refurbing a plane, so in all I think #1 looks pretty good. Tried her out and got pretty good results, blade needs a tad bit more sharpening.

David Tiell
05-04-2005, 3:37 PM
You say the paint flattened out in the baking. Can you describe the process you used? How many coats of paint? How long did you bake it at what temp? Any other details would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

Mark Singer
05-04-2005, 3:38 PM
Scott,

That is probably the nicest one I have seen including brand new ones....great job!

Scott Coffelt
05-04-2005, 4:51 PM
Thanks Mark.

Dave,

I used Krylon #1618, High Temp BBQ paint. My first couple of coats was actually the brand HD sells. It was a flat sheen fromt he get go. The krylon sprayed on like a gloss paint. In all I have about 8-10 light coats of paint on the plane. I then heated up to about 200-300 or so and let it sit for about 30 minutes.

After it cooled, I removed it. The sheen had gone form a glass to a semi-flat/satan finish. if you rub it with a cloth you get a little more sheen. In all, I like how it turned out, but wish it had a tad more sheen. Either way, it is musch better than the rust color I started with. I almost decided to spray it with a clear after I cleaned it, it had a nice natural steel color to it, but went ahead with the black.

For a side note, anyone using the LN #78 blades?

Roy Wall
05-04-2005, 7:40 PM
Scott,
THat looks terrific my friend.......very nice!! I mean really nice!!!

Corvin Alstot
05-04-2005, 7:42 PM
Great job!
Nice photos too.
Looks brand new, would have been nice to see the rusty version as the contrast would have been great.
Great effort.

Scott Coffelt
05-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Just imagine the most rusty but not pitted plane you've seen, it was about like that. Chipped and nasty.

Thanks Roy.