PDA

View Full Version : Software question

Chris Tedford
01-17-2013, 9:05 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking into purchasing a CAMaster Stinger III for the university theater scene shop I run. I know that the machine comes with WinCNC and that is used to control the router. If I'm not mistaken the Stinger III comes with VCarve Pro that will create the G-code for WinCNC to follow. I use VectorWorks for all of my drafting, which is done on a Mac. I can export DXF files, which I've done in the past when I've had someone else cut things for me. Can I safely assume that I can draft in VectorWorks, transfer a DXF file to VCarve and then to WinCNC? Would I need another step? Or could I go straight from VectorWorks? I will mainly be cutting plywood and MDF with the occasional piece of acrylic thrown in for variety. It's not an option to stop using VectorWorks. Would another program besides VCarve Pro be more appropriate? I'm hoping to get grant funding to purchase the Stinger so I'm a long ways off from actually buying anything, but want to know how much to ask for in the grant application.

Thanks for your help.

Chris Tedford

Mike Heidrick
01-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Vcarve pro can import the DXF and can generate Gcode for WinCNC.

Mick A Martin
01-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Chris,
Mike is correct you can export DXF from VectorWorks then import the DXF into Vcarve Pro

Chris Tedford
01-18-2013, 8:58 AM
Thanks for the info. Is VCarve Pro the best option for starting out with or should I just upgrade to Aspire? Is there a significant cost savings in upgrading now vs. later?

Thanks,
Chris

Angie Orfanedes
01-18-2013, 11:32 AM
V Carve Pro will do everything you need if all your work is 2D. You can also use the free 3D machinist program and use preprogrammed 3d models. If you want to be able to model in 3d, or import a model and modify it, you will need Aspire. Vectric gives you a credit when you upgrade, so you wouldn't loose much by starting with V Carve Pro - and they give great customer service. You can download a free trial from their website of any of their software before you buy. If you can't tell, I am a happy customer - started with V Carve Pro several years ago, and later moved up to Aspire.

Angie

Chris Tedford
01-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks Angie. Most of our work will be 2d to start with. My hope is that as the students realize what the machine can do for them they will start to push themselves to do more complex designs. Makes my job a little harder, but also more interesting.

One thing I just thought of- I draft in 3D so that I can make sure things fit together properly, does that create a problem when going into VCarve? Or would I need to draft parts as simple lines instead of 3D shapes?

Chris

Rich Fennessey
01-18-2013, 8:57 PM
I don't think Vcarve will do that for you but I think Aspire may. You're going to need to export sections (DXF format is common) of your 3D drawing to a 2D part so you can create a tool path for each section. I'm currently working on a specialized shelf and going through the tradeoff of whether I want to create lots of separate 2D parts or create it all 3D and then toolpath the planar sections of the design.

I live about 50 miles north of you so if you ever want to see a Camaster in action, come on by.

Angie Orfanedes
01-18-2013, 10:00 PM
As Rich said, V Carve Pro can only accept 2D drawings/vectors.

Angie