PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Oxication from Table Saw Top

George Bokros
01-17-2013, 4:56 PM
My saw is 29 yrs old and I have not done anything to the top in all those years. Looking for recommendation of what use to clean some oxidation from the top then I plan to wax it to protect it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

George

Kamil Czuba
01-17-2013, 5:34 PM
How bad is it? If it's surface rust, spray her down with some WD-40, get some fine grit (400+) and go to town. Wipe off, and do it again as required. If it's rusted deeper, then your best bet is to have someone grind it for you. But that would probably cost close to a new saw.

Joe Angrisani
01-17-2013, 5:44 PM
......get some fine grit (400+) and go to town......

I would disagree. Stay away from the sandpaper for now.

As I learned here on The Creek: Get some WD-40 and some Bar Keeper's Friend (Home Depot, WalMart, Amazon, local supermarket are all sources). Spray some WD-40 on the saw table. Sprinkle on some Bar Keeper's Friend. Quantities of each should be enough to result in a thin slurry. Work it around the table with a rag or fine Scothbrite pad (maroon or grey). Let it sit for a few minutes. Work it around a little more. Then wipe it off.

I think you will be amazed at how it cleans without the physical abrasion of sandpaper.

George Bokros
01-17-2013, 6:00 PM
Top is not rusted it is just not shinny and slick like my 10 year old joiner and band saw tables. I think I will try the Bar Keepers Friend and WD40 with the Scotchbrite pad.

Thanks for the suggestions.

George

Thomas Hotchkin
01-17-2013, 6:00 PM
+ 1 with what Joe said. It's a great start, if not then you can move on to very fine sandpaper with some oil as a lube. Tom

Ole Anderson
01-17-2013, 8:12 PM
Scotchbrite pad under your palm sander. If you get a spot of rust from a bead of sweat or otherwise, scrape the protruding rust off first with a razorblade.

Jamie Schmitz
01-18-2013, 12:18 AM
If I am not mistaken BK'sF contains oxalic acid which is maybe why it helps destroy rust.

George Bokros
01-18-2013, 9:10 AM
I cleaned the top this morning using the WD40, Bar Keepers Friend and Scotchbrite pad and it looks great. I then cleaned it with denatured alcohol to take off the oil residue and will wax it later today.

Thanks for all the input.

George