PDA

View Full Version : Alzheimer's

Lee Ludden
01-17-2013, 4:29 PM
Most of you know what Alzheimer's is. Many of you know someone who has it. My Dad has had it for quite a while now. My niece did this video as a school project, and I wanted to share it with a larger audience.

Four years ago, my Dad was hunting, fishing, playing racquetball, working on cars, doing woodworking and metalworking in his shop, and enjoying life the same way we all do. Alzheimer's has taken all that from him. My niece did a great job on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq6FGSvWfgE&feature=player_detailpage

Curt Fuller
01-17-2013, 7:53 PM
That's a very powerful and touching video. Your niece had done a wonderful job of illustrating the need for more research and more help for care givers.

John M Wilson
01-17-2013, 7:53 PM
Very moving video.

I hope your niece got an "A" -- that was well done.

Jeff Monson
01-17-2013, 8:16 PM
Very touching video Lee, my heart goes out to you and your family. It must be very hard to watch your Dad go through life like this. I wish him the very best.

Ed Aumiller
01-17-2013, 8:26 PM
Very touching....

paul cottingham
01-17-2013, 8:49 PM
Very touching. I, too lost my father to Alzheimer's, and my heart goes out to you.

Phil Thien
01-17-2013, 9:04 PM
I agree that it was very touching. Thank you for sharing it.

Harold Burrell
01-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Wow...that was kind of hard to watch...

I lost my mom to Alzheimer's. It was pretty awful. It is a horrible disease. I'm sorry about your dad. The one thing that I took great comfort in while being with my mom was the realization that the family was suffering more than she was. She, in fact, seemed to be quite contented most of the time.

Still...my heart (and prayers) go out to you guys.

Thank your niece for me...

Jim O'Dell
01-18-2013, 1:06 PM
Thank you for posting this, and tell your niece I thank her for making it. Hopefully this will go viral on YouTube. I'll post a link on my facebook page. The last time I saw my Granddad before he passed away he was in stage 7. My Dad and I went to see him in the nursing home one weekend when Glenna and I went back home to visit. You could see the wheels turning in his head, but he couldn't speak. He got so frustrated he started crying. Only time I ever saw him cry in my life. He passed soon after that. His oldest daughter, my aunt, passed away this last December from this disease. I just emailed with her oldest daughter, my oldest cousin, this morning because my card to her youngest sister came back in the mail. It is truly a horrible disease. Early detection means nothing at this point. There is research ongoing. And places on line you can donate to if so inclined. One my Aunt's family gave us is: http://www.alz.org/ Jim.

Rick Gooden
01-18-2013, 2:13 PM
My mother and father both passed away with Alzheimer's. It was very hard to watch them deteriorate. Thank you for the video, although I think I might cry all day just thinking about it. Very well done, very informative. Please know that I will be praying for you and your family.

Paul Brinkmeyer
01-18-2013, 6:08 PM
I lost my mother to this just 3 weeks ago. I was the shoulder for her to lean on for the last 35 years, full time caretaker the last 6 years. With a lot of hired help to get her dressed, meals, and medication trying to help her live alone as long as possible. And I actually moved mother in with us the last year or so to take care of her because she could no longer do any of the daily functions and needed 24 hour care, so my interactions were daily. I think taking care of my mother that last few years was actually harder than raising 3 children of my own. I saw mothers memory issues coming for a lot of years. (I did the same for my dad 35 years ago when cancer took him.) And I have helped with other relatives who have had alzheimers.
Towards the end I was moms brother, her son, her husband, and a nice man. The stories I could tell go on and on.
I wish this on no one, not from the care giving end or the receiving end.