PDA

View Full Version : Give away Gloat

John Hart
04-30-2005, 4:16 PM
I usually don't get to gloat...but today, I got to do something nice for someone. My nephew-in-law loves woodworking from being raised in an environment of cabinet-making with his dad, but now as an adult with his own young family, there are no tools or other resources so he tries to make due with some wrenches and a drill.:eek:
I just happened to have an aged 10" Dayton Table Saw that was getting in the way...so today, I spent the day tearing it down, cleaning it up and now it's in my car waiting to ship to him.

This gift makes me feel pretty good.... Almost better than buying one for myself!:rolleyes:

Dan Forman
04-30-2005, 4:39 PM
Kind gesture, I'm sure he will enjoy it and put it to good use.

Dan

Tim Morton
04-30-2005, 4:48 PM
I agree...nice job!!

Jim Becker
04-30-2005, 4:50 PM
John, you're setting a good example for all of us! It's so easy to choose to sell tools we are done with (or sometimes even throw them away). The fact of the matter is that many of us could truly afford to do what you are doing...help out another woodworker or prospective woodworker with a donation of a function and safe used tool as we upgrade. Bravo!

everett lowell
04-30-2005, 5:06 PM
John,that was a great idea. I did the same thing a couple of months ago,on a much smaller scale...an old router I gave to a co-worker who is trying to get started in woodworking. I was reluctant to part with it, but it felt good when I did!:)

Frank Pellow
04-30-2005, 5:14 PM
Good for you John! That's a fine example to set.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-30-2005, 5:43 PM
John,

Great job on the saw! It is great to help others get into the craft! I have a benchtop jointer and Table saw waiting for my Bro-In-Law if he wants it.

Jerry Olexa
04-30-2005, 6:02 PM
Good effort John! And for a good cause i.e., helping a WWer get started even though he doesn't currently have the funds!

lou sansone
04-30-2005, 6:35 PM
i agree with all

lou

scott spencer
04-30-2005, 6:44 PM
You're a man with a good "Hart", and the world's a better place for it :)

Charlie Woods
04-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Awseome gift.:) It just goes to show you that WW's are some of the most generous people in the world. I hope this gives him the boost he needs to further his love of woodworking.

Great Job!!!

John Hart
04-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts...yessir...It feels great. I let him know tonight that I'll be shipping it Monday. He's already planning his first project... I'd have to describe his mood as...Giddy.:D

They have a baby due next month. This saw and some other tools I don't use anymore will help him make their house a home. Yup...I feel pretty good.

Thanks all!

Ken Salisbury
05-01-2005, 1:23 PM
I am in the habit of "upgrading" my tool inventory from time to time. In most cases I give the replaced tool to my SIL whose tool budget is very limited and it is my way to reward him for all the help he provides me when I need it.

Corey Hallagan
05-01-2005, 1:34 PM
Very nice gesture and thing to do! I hope he enjoys it!

Corey