PDA

View Full Version : Stile and rail bit

Charlie Jones
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
A few years ago I made some cabinets with raised panel doors. I used a cheap Sears bit set that gave me a full 1/2 bevel reveal on the stiles and rails. Now I am trying to find a better set to make some more doors that will match the older ones. I have checked Lee Valley, MLCS, Whiteside, Amana, Eagle etc. and can't find any that have over a 3/8 reveal. Do any of you know of a source.

Julie Moriarty
01-17-2013, 4:25 PM
I've bought many of my router bits from Router Bit World. You can check there. They sell Freud, Amana, CMT and Timberline bits. I can't speak for Timberline but I've used all of the other brands and have been pleased with them.

Greg Portland
01-17-2013, 4:27 PM
A few years ago I made some cabinets with raised panel doors. I used a cheap Sears bit set that gave me a full 1/2 bevel reveal on the stiles and rails. Now I am trying to find a better set to make some more doors that will match the older ones. I have checked Lee Valley, MLCS, Whiteside, Amana, Eagle etc. and can't find any that have over a 3/8 reveal. Do any of you know of a source.
Maybe we're thinking of different things regarding "bevel reveal" but I own the large CMT panel set and it is great. Freud also sells a large panel cutter.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2020391/31595/freud-99566-large-raised-panel-router-bit-bevel-profile-with-backcutter-12sh.aspx
http://www.acmetools.com/tools/CMT+800.517.11+3+Piece+Raised+Panel+Set

An alternate solution would be to take an existing door and have some inset cutters made to match the profile . Find someone with a shaper and inset tooling cutter & have them cut the doors.

Charlie Jones
01-17-2013, 4:42 PM
Thanks for the response. The reveal I am referring to is on the stile and rail, not the panel. I did find a Infinity bit that goes to 7/16, so I may try that.

Don Jarvie
01-17-2013, 10:22 PM
When looking at sets the choice is usually the type of reveal the bit will produce like shaker style, etc.