PDA

View Full Version : New equipment advice

Jeffrey Ruzicka
01-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first time here. I am considering trying to do some laser engraving, maybe mostly on wood to start with and moving on to etching some metal and glass if I can.
What does anyone think I would have to get to start with? Do you think I could find anything for about $6000? I would really like to get into this as it has so many exiting possibilitys. I just need to find something within my reach. Thank you so much for all your suggestions.

Walt Langhans
01-17-2013, 3:16 PM
Hi Jeffery and welcome!

What does anyone think I would have to get to start with? Do you think I could find anything for about $6000?

#1 It really depends on what you are trying to do. Is this going to be a business or a hobby?

#2 Easily but again it depends on what you are trying to do. Could you tell us some more about what you have planned?

Joe Hillmann
01-17-2013, 3:42 PM
Just based on your price range and not knowing how "handy" you are with electronic I would start with looking at Rabbit Lasers.

The reasons for that are:

Any non-import (epilog/ universal, troteck) are way out of your price range.

They ,as a seller are American based and offer American based tech support.

I have no hands on experience with them but from what research I have done they make a good product that is somewhat easy to use.

At your price point I don't think you will get any laser that runs on a print driver.
The 40 watt machine will engrave wood and glass as is, if you want to do metal you will need to use cermark, at only 40 watts that may be slow. Also at only 40 watts doing any wood cutting will be pretty slow.

I would suggest not getting a desktop size machine. My biggest laser has a 32"x18" inch bed and a 9" z axis and there have been many times I wish it was bigger.

I want to point out that I am not saying you should by a rabbit I am just suggesting you take a look at them and see if they will work for you.

Martin Boekers
01-17-2013, 3:49 PM
I would really like to get into this as it has so many exiting possibilitys.

Truer words have never been said on this forum......... exiting possibilities! Sorry I couldn't resist! :)

Welcome to the Creek, Make sure you become a contributing member and take a shot at the Trotec Givaway in Feb... Better than a lotto ticket
for $6!

Jeffrey Ruzicka
01-17-2013, 9:08 PM
I guess it would be considered somewhere in between the two. I'm thinking mostly wood engraving, maybe just a few pieces a day or so. But again, you never know where it might go.........