PDA

View Full Version : Pay Pal Question

Anthony Diodati
01-16-2013, 11:05 PM
I had thought pay pal. did not charge a seller ,or a person that receives money for goods, unless the buyer used a credit card for the payment.
But pay pal tells me the seller is charged 3% & 30 cents for all payments received, no matter how the buyer pays.
All this time, I thought if the buyer paid with a bank transfer into pay pal, the seller was not charged (Just if it was a credit card payment)
Any time I have paid someone with pay pal, I have even said it was a bank transfer payment, they wouldn't be charged a fee,
they (The seller) never said anything.
Guess I was wrong all along.

Mike Henderson
01-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Every time I've sold something and received payment via PayPal, they took their pound of flesh. The only way around it is to have the buyer make the payment as a "gift", in which case the buyer pays the PayPal fees. But when making a gift payment, the buyer gives up some of the PayPal protections.

Mike

David G Baker
01-17-2013, 12:13 AM
The main reason I stopped selling on Ebay is the greed. I do buy on occasion though. Their pound of flesh has driven a lot of sellers and buyers away. When Ebay started it was awesome, I would have 70 or so auctions going at a time and spent a lot of my free time on them.

Brian Elfert
01-17-2013, 9:06 AM
It used to be if you had a personal Paypal account you could receive non-credit card payments for free. Once your account was upgraded to allow others to pay via credit card then you got charged for all transactions.

When Paypal first started it was completely free including credit cards. Paypal was going to make money off the float. It didn't take long before Paypal realized that was not a viable business plan.

David Weaver
01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Something is missing here, in the terms. I don't like paypal and ebay that much but I use them in the absence of a better option.

At any rate, I did receive a paypal payment a couple of weeks ago, no fees, not a gift (which was confirmed by the fact that it let me ship a label).

Maybe it was a glitch.

Ebay has partially turned into retail bay. It was ruined when they took the listing fees to zero or almost zero and put all of the fees on the back end. It just gives sellers no incentive to have real auctions, and the 13% total take between ebay and paypal means the BIN items are often not a very good deal, either.

Amazon and ebay in their infancy were great places to shop for stuff that could be easily shipped. They're both now very often beaten by a department store across the street.

Brian Elfert
01-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Ebay has partially turned into retail bay. It was ruined when they took the listing fees to zero or almost zero and put all of the fees on the back end. It just gives sellers no incentive to have real auctions, and the 13% total take between ebay and paypal means the BIN items are often not a very good deal, either.

Amazon and ebay in their infancy were great places to shop for stuff that could be easily shipped. They're both now very often beaten by a department store across the street.

You're right that retail items on Ebay are often not a bargain, but sometimes I find great bargains on Ebay. I find the best prices on new items tend to be on overstock items that the retailer doesn't want to discount in their store. The item I buy through Ebay might cost up to twice as much from the same retailer's website. I bought a new part cheap for my motorhome brakes from a seller on Ebay. It turned out the seller was really a large chain retailer of truck parts, but they used an alias on Ebay. $100 shipped on Ebay or $150+ at their store. (I had asked at one of their stores before looking on Ebay.)

The Paypal fee for credit cards really isn't much more than you would pay to accept credit cards elsewhere. It costs money to run a website, but 9% seems a little steep. I worked at a national computer retailer in the mid 90s. We were told that we needed to make a margin of 14% to cover our expenses. (Credit card fees were less of an issue back then.) We had more expenses since we ran brick and mortar stores.

Myk Rian
01-17-2013, 2:35 PM
They're both now very often beaten by a department store across the street.
Target stores will match any online price now.

Greg Portland
01-17-2013, 4:15 PM
I had thought pay pal. did not charge a seller ,or a person that receives money for goods, unless the buyer used a credit card for the payment.
But pay pal tells me the seller is charged 3% & 30 cents for all payments received, no matter how the buyer pays.
All this time, I thought if the buyer paid with a bank transfer into pay pal, the seller was not charged (Just if it was a credit card payment)
Any time I have paid someone with pay pal, I have even said it was a bank transfer payment, they wouldn't be charged a fee,
they (The seller) never said anything.
Guess I was wrong all along.
With the advent of Square I see no reason at all to deal with Paypal (as a seller).

Anthony Diodati
01-17-2013, 6:54 PM
well, about 3 or 4 months ago, I sold a sander table through OWWM , and the guy paid me $35.00 with pay pal, I did not tell him gift option,
and I was never charged a fee.
Guy sent me some money a few days ago, $15.00, and I was charged about 75 cents.
Just trying to Figure this out.

Dan Hintz
01-17-2013, 7:07 PM
Anthony... I would suggest removing the curse word before a mod does it for you (with the requisite slap on the wrist to go along with it). My wrists have been plenty red over the years...