PDA

View Full Version : New use for old dresser??

steven c newman
01-16-2013, 10:31 PM
:DI have an old dresser down in the Dungeon Shop. Top two drawers are there, as is the next drawer down, then.....NOTHING. Got it cleaned off, "adjusted the legs for level" ( cut them off) and started to figure out what to do with it...251443251444Well two planes were too long for the drawers. The rest are there, somewhere..251448 ah, THERE they are. The top drawers have a use, as well..251449251450Junk drawers, right? Maybe I should start and rebuild a few more drawers?:D:D. As for the rest of the Dungeon Shop..251451It is a work in progress....

Gary Hodgin
01-17-2013, 1:33 AM
Looking good. You'll definitely have to build your own dresser (or find another old one with drawers like that one) if you want to put hand planes in the drawers. About all mine can hold are underwear and socks. They'd break through like a tank on 1/8" ice if I put three #5's in them.

Adam Petersen
01-17-2013, 7:27 AM
Nice use of an old dresser. I think you are using it well. How close is this to your bench? I recently moved a few things around in my shop and moved my planes a few feet away from my bench in a drawer. I quickly moved them back to arms reach. I despise having to walk a few feet every time I need a tool. Bad spacial ergonomics (is that a real thing?)

Chris Griggs
01-17-2013, 7:40 AM
Very nice Steve. I need to do something about shop storage. My main shelving units in the shop consist of milk crates stacked on there sides and zip tied together.

Jim Foster
01-17-2013, 7:54 AM
I may be mistaken, but it looks like you have a problem with #4's :)

Jacob Nothstine
01-17-2013, 9:08 AM
Looks great,
I would add a safety strap or stop block in the back of the drawer so the drawer can't fall out if you pull the drawer to far out.

Dan Carroll
01-17-2013, 9:39 AM
Can I make a suggestion on your Dungeon Shop? Lots of white Gunite paint. Clean the walls a best you can and them slap a coat on the walls and around the floor/wall connection. It will make the whole place a lot brighter and the pool paint will in fact stay on the walls. That is what I did in my shop in it makes a huge difference in how bright it feels and it does some good with moisture. It is not a cure all for wet basements because you have to deal with where the water is coming from, but it does keep some transfer througth the walls down.

steven c newman
01-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Place is a rental. Paint will have to wait awhile. I do have a few windows down there.

Plan is to add a shelf ( or two) below the drawers. Nothing tying the base together right now.

Nickelson English Bench is still on the way other to this new locale. Then evrything will be within an arm's reach. I'll be adding a shelf to the bottom of that bench, when it arrives, to store other items.

Haven't the room for the big tablesaw down there. If I really need it, it is about a 18 mile drive away. May bring the router table down there, someday.

Thanks for looking in on my little world..

steven c newman
01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
There are four number four sized planes in there, two #3s and a scrub plane. Also sitting in there 3 number 5s, a 5.5 sized Union #5A, two #6 and three little block planes. Just a small set....

Jim Foster
01-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Whew, not as big a problem as it appeared :)

Pat Barry
01-17-2013, 1:51 PM
Hi Steven, did you reinforce the drawer bottoms?

steven c newman
01-17-2013, 5:39 PM
It is in the plans. They will be stored until I can re-do the drawer, at least THAT drawer. Bottoms have a "track strip" running front to back, and the bottoms are at least 1/4", if not a hair more. Need to "tie" the dottom of the dresser together a little better, there is NO BACK to it. If I add a shelf or two near the bottom, I'll lag it in place. May not look pretty, but it will be "hell-fer-stout".

Anybody see Igor? I need him to sweep the floor in the Dungeon. Lately, he has been shirking his duties...

Tom Vanzant
01-18-2013, 3:00 PM
Since this re-purposed dresser is in the Dungeon, you might look at the drawer liner from Rockler, item #27779 or 29997. Besides providing cushioning, it's treated with a rust-preventative effective for up to five years. Comes in a 22" x72" roll, reasonably priced.