PDA

View Full Version : First gloat - joined the Festool club.

Dave Falkenstein
04-30-2005, 3:25 PM
Well, I finally sprung for a set of Festool products recently. Expensive? Yes they are. But what a wonderfully designed line of tools these folks make. Many of the tools work with the guide rail system. The sanders are the best I have used in over 30 years of home shop woodowrking. And the dust collection from the tools is nothing short of amazing, using the Festool dust extractor (vacuum). I used the plunge circular saw and guide rail system to cut up 6 4X8 sheets of MDF for some garage cabinets I built for a friend. This was far and away the easiest time I have ever had cutting up sheet goods accurately. Just call me "Happy". Smile.

Jim Becker
04-30-2005, 3:57 PM
And better yet...they can follow you in the summer when you head up into the hills to escape the heat!

Dan Forman
04-30-2005, 4:51 PM
Dave---Which pieces did you get?

Jim---Do the hills in your area have electrical outlets???

Dan

Jim Becker
04-30-2005, 4:54 PM
Jim---Do the hills in your area have electrical outlets???

LOL! Well, the hills, themselves? Unlikely. But the places where one might stay in the hills usually do. Dave summers up near Flagstaff and now has the choice to "bring his shop with him"...if his LOYL approves, of course!

Dave was one of the first fellow woodworkers I met while traveling a few years ago. Dr. SWMBO and I were doing a driving vacation through NM and AZ and when we got to Phoenix, we joined a bunch of folks for a nice meal. Pic below. Dave is third from the left in the top row with the LOYL just in front. I'm second from the right in the top row with the hat on, Dr. SWMBO right in front of me in the navy tee shirt.

Frank Pellow
04-30-2005, 5:02 PM
LOL! Well, the hills, themselves? Unlikely. But the places where one might stay in the hills usually do. Dave summers up near Flagstaff and now has the choice to "bring his shop with him"...if his LOYL approves, of course.!
I too go up north to escape the summer heat (Toronto gets very hot and humid in July/August) and I take several Festool tools with me. There is no on-grid electricity at Pellow's Camp but I do have a generator (just for tools) and have hopes to install solar/wind power some day.

Frank Pellow
04-30-2005, 5:07 PM
Congratulations Dave! The guide rail / circular saw / vacuum combination was the first thing I purchased from Festool and I still regard it as the best tool purchase of my life.

I soon followed up that purchase with many many more Festool goodies. Just what else did you buy?

Jeff Sudmeier
04-30-2005, 5:42 PM
Dave, congrats on the purchases! I have yet to purchase any festool gear. However, I have looked it over at woodcraft, I would like to get a couple of sanders.

Christian Aufreiter
04-30-2005, 7:24 PM
Congrats, Dave!
But as you have an avatar, I assume that you have access to a digital camera. So where are the PICS? ;)

Regards,

Christian

Dave Falkenstein
04-30-2005, 8:24 PM
Dave---Which pieces did you get?

Dan

Dan, Frank and Christian - I bought the barrel jig saw about a year ago to replace an older model Bosch (without blade guides) and was very happy with that purchase. More recently, I bought the ES 150/3 ROS as a demo tool from the local rep. Then I went for the five tool package and got the plunge saw, dust extractor, Rotex sander, the new router and the big MultiFunction Table, and of course, a bundle of assessories and consumables. I'm building my own Systainer Port to hold all of those boxes and accessories. I'll take a photo of that when it's completed.

Darren Ford
05-01-2005, 11:41 AM
I too go up north to escape the summer heat (Toronto gets very hot and humid in July/August)

LOL. Good one Frank!

Frank Pellow
05-01-2005, 12:24 PM
LOL. Good one Frank!
Darren, I hope you don't think it's a joke. Toronto really does get very hot and muggy. I try to spend as much of the summer as possible at my island 1000 kilometres north-west of here.

Darren Ford
05-01-2005, 9:39 PM
Frank, I was pulling your leg. :) But I do think heat is relative -- I'm sure you have some miserably hot weather in the summer, but at the same time I would probably think it was pleasant after living here in God's country (Alabama) almost all of my life.