PDA

View Full Version : Oscars

Mike Henderson
01-16-2013, 4:36 PM
I haven 't seen all the movies nominated but did see a few. Lincoln is very good and Daniel Day Lewis is wonderful as Lincoln.

I also saw Moonrise Kingdom and Beast of the Southern Wild. Both were terrible. Moonrise Kingdom is just dumb, dumb, dumb. Beast of the Southern Wild was perhaps one of the ten worse movies I've ever seen - in my life, not this year. I'm just astounded that either movie could be a candidate for honors.

Mike

Kevin Bourque
01-16-2013, 5:17 PM
I probably see 30-40 movies a year and have been doing this for about 20 years.I have a very high tolerance for bad movies, but every now and again I go to a movie that is so bad I just walk out.
Beasts of the Southern Wild was one of those movies. I'm completely puzzled as to why critics love this dank, boring,depressing movie so much.

Moonrise Kingdom wasn't too bad, but I thought the scene where there was sexual touching between the 2 main characters, who are children, was very inappropriate and borderline pedophilia.

Lincoln was a very good movie and Danial Day Lewis was amazing as the President.

Django Unchained was one of my favorite movies of the year. Great performances by DiCaprio, Waltz, Foxx, and Samuel L. Jackson, plus all the great cameo appearances, and lots of action. Tarentino is THE MAN.

I haven't seen Les Miserables. Lots of friends have told me the Broadway show was much better than the movie and that the singing was really good for actors, but professionals are far superior. PS. The Onion has a great send up of Russel Crowe who is in this film. A must see mockery. http://www.theonion.com/video/russell-crowe-praised-for-stunning-portrayal-of-ma,30839/

Argo was very entertaining and very well done, but I'm not sure it's Oscar worthy.

Didn't see Life of Pi.

Silver Linings Playbook was a really good movie. Bradley Cooper was very convincing as a recovering mental patient, and super cute Jennifer Lawrence is quickly becoming a bankable Hollywood star.

David Helm
01-16-2013, 6:09 PM
For me, Lincoln was not a particularly good movie. Tommie Lee Jones was excellent, but the writing, with Lincoln speaking in very flowery terms, was atrocious. Lincoln was a much more down to earth speaker. Daniel Day Lewis did as well as possible given the bad writing. I, frankly, thought Beasts of the Southern Wild was the best file (that I've seen) of the year. Life of Pi was a close second, followed by Les Miserables then Argo. Haven't yet seen Django Unchained or Silver Linings Playbook. I give Lincoln a place at the bottom of the top ten.

Jerome Stanek
01-16-2013, 6:15 PM
I haven't seen any of them and probably won't. Not much of a movie fan give me a good book any day

Chris Padilla
01-16-2013, 7:05 PM
Damn! I thought this thread was going to be about fish!! ;)

Mike Henderson
01-16-2013, 7:54 PM
Damn! I thought this thread was going to be about fish!! ;)
Well, I heard of "A Fish Called Wanda" but never of "A Fish Called Oscar".:)

Mike

Ernie Miller
01-17-2013, 9:47 AM
Granted, I'm a Les Miserables nut - I've seen it twice on Broadway and once in Raleigh. While the movie and the play are quite similar, the differences are significant. Musically, the play is far superior - better singing and you can't beat a live orchestra. The movie, however, has a much higher emotional impact. While I originally thought Anne Hathoway was mis-cast, she is absolutely brilliant in the role. One word of advice, even for the macho types amongst us - bring tissues!

Chris Padilla
01-17-2013, 1:05 PM
Well, I heard of "A Fish Called Wanda" but never of "A Fish Called Oscar".:)

Mike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_%28fish%29 :)

john flynn657
01-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Django is one of the best films! i highly recommend this movie for movie goers :)

Mac McQuinn
01-20-2013, 4:48 PM
While I'm not a huge movie buff, I do enjoy Daniel Day Lewis's work and American History. Perhaps I'll catch "Lincoln" soon. If you have not seen the older(1992) movie, "Last of the Mohicans" with Daniel Day Lewis and the late Russell Means, It's a great view also.
Mac

I haven 't seen all the movies nominated but did see a few. Lincoln is very good and Daniel Day Lewis is wonderful as Lincoln.

I also saw Moonrise Kingdom and Beast of the Southern Wild. Both were terrible. Moonrise Kingdom is just dumb, dumb, dumb. Beast of the Southern Wild was perhaps one of the ten worse movies I've ever seen - in my life, not this year. I'm just astounded that either movie could be a candidate for honors.

Mike