PDA

View Full Version : Erosion

Michelle Rich
01-16-2013, 3:29 PM
I cannot decide whether to make this into a wall art piece, or to put it on some kind of stand. I'm leaning toward a stand, but haven't got anything solid in my head yet for it.
this is made from poplar lumber and is 9 1/2 inches in diameter
Hope this cranks your crank! and that you enjoy it.

Doug W Swanson
01-16-2013, 3:46 PM
Another good name would be 'Worm Tracks':) because it reminds me of the worm trails left behind in some Butternut I turned a few months back. Looks great, Michelle!

Michelle Rich
01-16-2013, 3:53 PM
I thought of that too..:-)

Roger Chandler
01-16-2013, 4:12 PM
Your work reflects ecological views you hold.........nice way to make a statement......do it in our art! ;)

Greg Ketell
01-16-2013, 4:27 PM
Very nice! I Love your creativity!

Justin Stephen
01-16-2013, 4:46 PM
I thought of that too..:-)

I suspect that, all other factors being equal, a piece of art called "Erosion" will fetch a higher price than one named "Worm Tracks". :)

Michelle Rich
01-16-2013, 5:08 PM
Justin: how about Bug Burrows? any classier? :-) Yes I found years ago if one names items & sells them, one must have clever, original , and descriptive terms/names. My favorite of mine so far was for a piece I called: Escargots go a'courtin'. now that is pure class!!! :-0

Dan Hintz
01-16-2013, 6:15 PM
Another good name would be 'Worm Tracks':)

I was thinking carpenter ants...

Love this one, Michelle :)

Timothy Mann
01-16-2013, 6:56 PM
That is very nice. I like all of the art works I have seen you post.

Kathy Marshall
01-16-2013, 8:05 PM
Another very cool piece Michelle!

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-16-2013, 8:14 PM
Nice work Michelle, I'm going to go a little against the grain here & say I would have like to see a little color added to this one. Nothing bright or bold but something subtle like some earth tone sandy & medium browns & reds. I think would work well with this piece.

Michelle Rich
01-17-2013, 6:49 AM
Thanks Joe..but are you pulling my leg? Wasn't that the last piece I did? the brown/tan/red tones? :-) I'm getting old & forgetful, but I'm pretty sure about this!!! :-) HAHAAAAA Good to hear from you & Happy 2013.

Jon McElwain
01-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Nice work Michelle, I'm going to go a little against the grain here & say I would have like to see a little color added to this one. Nothing bright or bold but something subtle like some earth tone sandy & medium browns & reds. I think would work well with this piece.

I had similar thoughts. Even if the groove around the center was burned (sort of like the wire burning technique) it would give just enough of a visual demarcation to break up the uniformity of color.

That said, I really like the irregular radiating grooves. Sort of gives a feeling of energy moving away from the center. My best guess is that you used a ball shaped carbide tipped cutter on a rotary carving tool??

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-17-2013, 8:15 PM
Thanks Joe..but are you pulling my leg? Wasn't that the last piece I did? the brown/tan/red tones? :-) I'm getting old & forgetful, but I'm pretty sure about this!!! :-) HAHAAAAA Good to hear from you & Happy 2013.

The colors on your last piece are similar to what I was thinking with this one. Using darker browns & blacks in the deep groves & the lighter browns,tans & dark reds on the top surfaces.

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2013, 9:47 PM
Great looking piece.