PDA

View Full Version : Delta Jointer Fence Stuck, I Need Help!

Brian Parker
01-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the ideas, I got it resolved this evening!

I've had this jointer for about 6 years or so and until about a year or so ago loved it. I went to use it one day and found that the big black know used to move the fence in and out wouldn't turn. I found a picture of what the fence gear mechanism looks like and attached it below, circling the frozen black knob.

I reached out to Delta's CS and they told me that since it was so old to contact the fine folks at Black & Decker. I wasn't able to get anything from them.

The fence is almost all the way back so I can still run a 5 3/4" board across it. I'd really like to have the fence back up and traveling as it should, and not leaving it as is. I looked online and I can get some parts for it but since I would need to buy the long silver cylinder and the bracket which it slides through it's not going to be cheap. I've thought of getting a can of WD-40 and just spraying it down every few hours as there is a horizontal slot (not seen in the picture as it's on the other side). I could pull out the two black set screws and spray something in there. Again I'm reaching at straws and would love to hear a few tips or methods from people here. I'm hoping that a few users know what I'm talking about or even better someone who restores jointers that could offer a bit of advise. I thought about a big hammer but quickly dismissed that idea as it would most likely throw something out of whack!

I'm not sure if it will help but the jointer is a Delta 37-275X X5.

Brian

johnny means
01-16-2013, 12:28 PM
A hammer and a scrap of hard wood would be my first approach. A couple of good blows should break the bond. No metal on metal contact of course.

Brian Parker
01-16-2013, 12:35 PM
I thought of that but dismissed it, then thought of it again and then thought to come here before pulling out the mini sledge. I thought using a hammer and beating on the rear of the tube may work (may further compound the problem). Would using a hammer be like fishing with dynamite, it works but you can't do much with the end product?

johnny means
01-16-2013, 4:00 PM
I'm not talking about bearing the snot out of it. More like using an impact took on a stubborn bolt. A small percussive shock will often do Northam sheer force on frozen parts.

Chris Rosenberger
01-16-2013, 6:42 PM
Have you tried removing the set screw? That is all that holds the knob in the casting.

Kevin Guarnotta
01-16-2013, 7:07 PM
I don't have a clue why it is stuck, but as far as using WD-40, you actually want a penetrating lubricant. Something like PB blaster.

Brian Parker
01-16-2013, 8:30 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. After about 45 minutes in the garage I was able to get it torn apart and cleaned up. I pulled all the set screws, knobs and bolts that I were around and sprayed it down with a little pb blaster. I think that it was some wood chips jammed between the long notched tube that pulls the fence in and out. I say that as i did give it a small tap or two after letting it soak for a bit and it all came apart. I cleaned it up a little and then since I have it apart I sprayed some WD40 on the top to get a slight bit of rust off the top.

Thomas Hotchkin
01-16-2013, 8:45 PM
Brain
Any rust on long silver shaft? Does large knob move at all? Removing setscrew below large knob, and squirt some penetrating lubricant there (not WD40) may help. If you have a heat gun, heating the area below large knob may help move penetrating lubricant into tight places. Adding penetrating lubricant around silver shaft will help. Is fence feed lock backed off? Good luck. Tom

Myk Rian
01-16-2013, 9:14 PM
WD-40 does nothing to get rid of rust. It helps prevent it.
My favorite is a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF.

Brian Parker
01-16-2013, 9:54 PM
I never heard of this ATF (or power steering fluid) and acetone combo before. After a quick google search this looks like something that I'll have to whip up and keep on the shelf. Thanks!

Fred Kolb
04-15-2020, 8:24 AM
I have a Delta Jointer, the know that fits over the worm gear that adjusts the fence is worn and cracked and instead of gripping the gear it just spins. I can move the fence by pulling out the gear and using the lock down clamp. I want to come up with a workable solution to replace the knob. Looks like a tapered shaft knob that fits over the gear, Delta says replacement knob is no longer available. Anybody have ideas?

Matt Day
04-15-2020, 8:58 AM
I’d start a new thread Fred (hey, that rhymes!). This one is 7 years old.

Post some pictures and be more specific. And welcome to SMC, please consider donating $6/yr and become a contributor. You can post pics if you do so.