PDA

View Full Version : Inking Acrylic (Scrimshaw Effect)

Daniel Auer
01-16-2013, 9:47 AM
We are currently working on a project with our lasers that involves engraving a scene and then rubbing or rolling ink into the engraves to create a scrimshaw effect.

Has anyone else tried this? If so what were your results and what type of inks did you try?

Martin Boekers
01-16-2013, 9:55 AM
I 've done that with Corian, it looked great. I suggest Corian or solid surface material over acrylic.
Are you getting white opaque acrylic? Another thing that is pretty cool, is to use clear acrylic,
engrave the back side and fill, then take an orbital sander to the backside. It's a nice effect

Daniel Auer
01-16-2013, 10:11 AM
What type of ink and how did you apply it? We are using bone colored opaque modified acrylic (Rowmark) .060 thick.
The application it is being used for (cam activated animated scene) restricts the material a little.

Martin Boekers
01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
I just use standard spray paint. I'd try it with acrylic, mask if you like, then sand the overspray.
That way it will take the glossy finish down.

Rodne Gold
01-16-2013, 2:26 PM
Just flood fill with automotive duco , use a stiff card to wipe off excess and then use methylated spirits (methanol) or thinners to wipe off any residue once dried. Scrimshaw type engraving is almost always fine lines and no large area fills that can be scooped out when cleaning off excess with solvents. Make sure the solvents dont mess with the substrate you using , we do this with acrylic a lot...so you should be safe. Cos of the fine lines which hold the paint well , you dont have to go deep at all.

Bill Cunningham
01-17-2013, 7:54 PM
I just did a set of ivory coloured 1911 grips. I used heavy tack transfer paper as a mask, engraved through the mask, then sprayed them with krylon black.. They are currently drying, I leave masked plastic overnight, then pull the mask off and buff the surface clean. For these I used speed 50 power 100 400dpi

Chuck Stone
01-17-2013, 9:13 PM
I just finished 20 pen blanks using Corian. As mentioned, the scrimshaw effect is usually
lines .. like a woodcut look. The lines are fine enough that the ink doesn't pull out when
you wipe off the excess. I used Scribbles paint (by Duncan) and some tubes of artists
acrylic paints .. I've used india ink..