PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1018 Jointer Back On Sale

Matt Meiser
04-30-2005, 10:41 AM
I stumbled across this today. Grizzly has the G1018 8" jointer back on sale for $595. They must be closing them out for the new G0586.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G1018&

Alan Tolchinsky
04-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Matt, Why buy that when you could get the new 0586 for only $30 more? You'd think Grizzly would make more of a price difference between the two.

Matt Meiser
04-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Matt, Why buy that when you could get the new 0586 for only $30 more? You'd think Grizzly would make more of a price difference between the two.

I actually got the Yorkcraft for about $75 more. I had ordered the G0586, but its now been delayed to mid-June. A few people recommended getting a 3 knife jointer over the 4 like the G0586 because there is 33% less frustration when trying to set knives. If you need an 8" now, I think this is a good deal. If you can wait, the new model is probably a better deal. And, though I've only played with it a few minutes, I think the Yorkcraft is great! However, if you are out west, shipping from Wilke can be expensive, from what I've read.

Effie Lever
04-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Matt,
Looking forward for your review on the Yorkcraft. I know it's not your first jointer so you can have a more experienced view of the performance. I'm still on the fence between Yorkcraft and Grizzly, there are a lot of stores out there on the inconsistency of Grizzly quality control.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-30-2005, 11:58 AM
I actually got the Yorkcraft for about $75 more. I had ordered the G0586, but its now been delayed to mid-June. A few people recommended getting a 3 knife jointer over the 4 like the G0586 because there is 33% less frustration when trying to set knives. If you need an 8" now, I think this is a good deal. If you can wait, the new model is probably a better deal. And, though I've only played with it a few minutes, I think the Yorkcraft is great! However, if you are out west, shipping from Wilke can be expensive, from what I've read.

Matt, I'm in Maryland and Wilke is less then two hours away. I think you did good going with Wilke as I never hear anything bad about them. Now Grizzly on the other hand.... But I do hear good things about their jointers. I don't buy the 4 knife theory. Once you get good at setting up your knives, what's one more to do? But I guess it also depends on how much a difference that extra knife makes in jointing. I don't know the answer to that.

Terre Hooks
04-30-2005, 7:03 PM

I've had a 1018HW for 2-1/2 years. I've face jointed 8'+ boards with it.
I have no need for 70" beds.

'Sides...you ain't gettin a 0586 until August or September anyway.

I assure you they've sold everything that's been made so far, and the first containers aren't going to be in the warehouses until June 20 or later.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-01-2005, 12:11 AM
I've had a 1018HW for 2-1/2 years. I've face jointed 8'+ boards with it.
I have no need for 70" beds.

'Sides...you ain't gettin a 0586 until August or September anyway.

I assure you they've sold everything that's been made so far, and the first containers aren't going to be in the warehouses until June 20 or later.

I ain't buying one so I don't care when they get here. All I was saying is the newer model has some nice features for just a few coins more. I[m sure your jointer is very nice and it sounds like it does the job.