PDA

View Full Version : Question about power distribution

Mike Henderson
01-15-2013, 9:10 PM
Being an electrical engineer, I look at power lines. One thing I don't understand is that often on the high voltage lines, there as some devices hanging below the lines, on both sides of an insulator. Take a look at the following two pictures, the first which gives an overall view, and the second which is an enlarged section of the first picture to highlight those devices.

My question - perhaps to someone who works for a power company - is, "What the heck are those devices? And what do they do?"

Mike

Jim Becker
01-15-2013, 9:26 PM
I cannot see clearly the specific device in your photo because it's so grainy, but there may be some kind of bonding connections there that span the insulator or some form of splice. That said, there are a number of different devices I see on the higher voltage lines around here, including some form of "fuses/breakers" as well as disconnects for when they want/need to change the routing of power to deal with damage or other maintenance needs.

Rod Sheridan
01-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Being an electrical engineer, I look at power lines. One thing I don't understand is that often on the high voltage lines, there as some devices hanging below the lines, on both sides of an insulator. Take a look at the following two pictures, the first which gives an overall view, and the second which is an enlarged section of the first picture to highlight those devices.

My question - perhaps to someone who works for a power company - is, "What the heck are those devices? And what do they do?"

Mike

Mike, those are Stockbridge Dampers, they reduce oscillations of the conductor, which results in fatigue failures where they are restrained by insulators..........Regards, Rod

Matt Meiser
01-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Ok, so what are the little triangle thingys that are sometimes seen on conductors in the middle between two poles?

Dick Latshaw
01-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Mike, those are Stockbridge Dampers, they reduce oscillations of the conductor, which results in fatigue failures where they are restrained by insulators..........Regards, Rod

For a simple explanation of how they work, see the article "Dynamic Analysis of Stockbridge Damper" by N. and R. Barbieri.:)

Mike Henderson
01-15-2013, 10:38 PM
For a simple explanation of how they work, see the article "Dynamic Analysis of Stockbridge Damper" by N. and R. Barbieri.:)
I looked up that article - I wouldn't call it "simple" but it does go into a mathematical analysis of how they work.

But thanks to everyone who replied. At least I now know why those are on the wires. I sort of assume they were dampers of some kind but couldn't be sure.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2013, 10:39 PM
....and then there are those big orange balls......

Brian Elfert
01-15-2013, 10:45 PM
The orange balls are usually so that planes will see the wires and not hit them. There may not be a nearby airport, but they are also used along farms fields if aerial spraying is done.

Ken Harris
01-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Mike I do not remember what they are called but when the wind whips the wire, those devices in theory are supposed to help dampen wire oscilliation

Dan Hintz
01-16-2013, 6:27 AM
TIL (Today I learned)... thank you :)

Jim Koepke
01-16-2013, 1:30 PM
Wow, for many years of seeing those I wondered what they were.

jtk

Mac McQuinn
01-16-2013, 1:44 PM
I've seen something similar in Southern rural Michigan although these don't seem to have wires attached per se and are vertically displayed, approximately 2' long and 5" x 5" in section, typically very corroded looking.
My thoughts were some type of weighted wind dampner.
Mac

ray hampton
01-16-2013, 3:16 PM
orange balls or black balls are use at the local hospital on the power lines, and the purpose could be to help the copter pilots avoid the wires when they are heading to the copter pad