PDA

View Full Version : Quick table saw fence question

steve joly
01-15-2013, 5:46 PM
I'm looking for a little help. I am building a table saw fence using the plans from super cool tools. So far the only part of the plans I don't like is the hairline position indicator. I'm just wondering who has a magnifying indicator on their saws and what model saw you have. I haven't found any manufacturer that lists that in the specs. Thank you for your help

-steve

Larry Browning
01-15-2013, 6:11 PM
I don't have a magnifying one. It is just a piece of clear acrylic with a hair line. I don't think I would want one either. Seems like it would be give a distorted view of the scale.

Michael W. Clark
01-15-2013, 6:34 PM
I don't have a magnifying one. It is just a piece of clear acrylic with a hair line. I don't think I would want one either. Seems like it would be give a distorted view of the scale.

Ditto. I have an indicator, but don't use it. I think it is more accurate to measure from the edge of the blade. When you take the fence off for any reason, the indicator can get knocked out of alignment.

Roger Feeley
01-15-2013, 6:37 PM
consider finding an old slide rule. they have a magnifier and the little line built in.

glenn bradley
01-15-2013, 6:50 PM
Harbor Freight, $1.25 (the round thingy in the upper right):

Cut it from this. (http://www.harborfreight.com/foldaway-magnifying-glass-36415.html)

Oh darn, they're up to $1.49 now!!!

steve joly
01-15-2013, 9:03 PM
Thanks for the ideas, I'm looking for a magnifying glass because I have horrible eye sight rendering a normal one almost useless. I agree with the above poster about measuring to the blade, I always do this on crucial cuts but often cuts do not need to be that critical so a gauge on the fence is sufficient and fast.