PDA

View Full Version : My spindle stroke is too short!

Vectorr Ris
04-30-2005, 9:30 AM
I have a benchtop drill press with a 2" spindle stroke and it's too short! Are there any tricks I can use to drill deeper without having to actually hold the workpiece or buying another drill press?

John Shuk
04-30-2005, 9:36 AM
All I can say is why do you have to tempt me?

Steve Stube
04-30-2005, 10:39 AM
I have a Levin precision drill press (fixed spindle height, ~2" table travel) but in the size range for this machine the drills are not even 2" long so it's not a problem.

I think you already answered your own question but I am curious about the chuck capacity for your drill press. Sorry I have no tip, I do however welcome you to SMC as I note this was your first post.

Vectorr Ris
04-30-2005, 10:50 AM
1/2" chuck capacity..

Ian Barley
04-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Vectorr

There is at least one way to do this but it does depend on a couple of factors that you dont talk about in your question.

Assuming that your drill press has a table that can be raised and lowered AND that the drill bit you are using is long enough.

1 - Drill the hole to the full depth of the drill advance.

2 - Stop the drill

3 - Lower the table, place a riser block offcut under the workpiece, ideally just a little less than the two inch travel.

4 - Raise the table so that the bit descends into the hole that you have just drilled but not so that it touches the bottom of the hole.

5 - Clamp the workpiece and spacer block for safety.

6 - Start the drill and advance as far as needed or possible.

7 Repeat from step 2 as necessary.

If you are gonna be doing this with any regularity I would strongly recommend a bigger drill press.

Hope that helps and welcome to the creek.

Steve Stube
04-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Perhaps one of these would help.

http://www.crscientific.com/labjack05.jpg

Jeff Sudmeier
04-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Vectorr, Welcome to Saw Mill Creek! You have joined a wonderful forum, full of great folks and even better moderators!

I do as Ian suggests, it is a PITA, but I get by. As Ian suggests, if you have plans for a lot of this type of drilling. A larger drill press is in order.

Once again, Welcome to SMC, thanks for joining!

John Miliunas
04-30-2005, 1:24 PM
Vectorr, first of all, WELCOME to the Creek! Great place to hang out, loads of valuable info and THE BEST bunch of WW's anywhere!:)

I believe Ian gave you the best outline of what to do. What nobody mentioned, though, is your original description of "holding" the workpiece. I really, REALLY do hope you didn't mean that as in, holding it with your hand!!!! Dangerous regardless of the bit you have chucked up!:eek: Also, if/when using larger bits, particularly Forstners, be sure you set your spindle speed down accordingly. Be safe!:cool:

Vectorr Ris
05-01-2005, 5:34 AM
Yeah, I tried the "stop/adjust/secure/drill again" method and the hole wasn't straight. I was just curious if there was an old (sorry, hehe) trick to learn.

And uh, yes, John. I did "hold" the pen blank out of desparation. Luckily pain is a great mentor and I will not do that again... The blank beat my thumb oh, maybe 2000 beats before the "WHOOPS!" "OW!" "WELL DUH!" and finally, "MOVE YOUR THUMB STUPID!!!" commands all crashed into my brain housing unit.

Maybe this is a good time to point out the virtues of shop safety... :D

John Hart
05-01-2005, 6:57 AM
You guys just forced a vision in my head.... How 'bout a jig that is a basic box that holds the table securely. Then a small homemade scissor-jack underneath. Clamp everything in place and then raise the table to the bit...You could get a 6" stroke out of a small drill press that way without sacrificing safety or accuracy.

Vectorr Ris
05-01-2005, 7:07 AM
That sounds like a good idea!

John Miliunas
05-01-2005, 8:15 AM
And uh, yes, John. I did "hold" the pen blank out of desparation. Luckily pain is a great mentor and I will not do that again... The blank beat my thumb oh, maybe 2000 beats before the "WHOOPS!" "OW!" "WELL DUH!" and finally, "MOVE YOUR THUMB STUPID!!!" commands all crashed into my brain housing unit.

Maybe this is a good time to point out the virtues of shop safety... :D

Ahhhh...You see there, Vectorr! This in itself was a clear sign from the tool gods, that you really need to upgrade your DP!:D Glad you weren't seriously injured, though!!!:) At any rate, sometimes we may not have the inclination to spend money on certain tools, but when it starts to become a choice of doing something safely or not doing it at all, the expenditure becomes that more justified. 'Course, I'm a bad guy to ask about that, because it usually doesn't take much justification at all to "prove the worth" of a new tool!:D :) :cool: