PDA

View Full Version : isis jointer?

Kevin Guarnotta
01-15-2013, 3:33 PM
First off I never know if these things are supposed to be called Joiner or Jointers, but that is a different question for another thread...

I am thinking about getting one of them, and have read 8" is the way to go. Most people will outgrow a 6" real fast. I've seen an 8" one locally. It is an Isis, 2HP, 220V with mobile base and cabinet. Seems like a great price, but I've never heard of this brand.
What do you look for when getting a used jointer? What should I be wary of? Is it possible to change this to 110?

Thanks for any tips on this...

Jeff Duncan
01-15-2013, 5:53 PM
Kevin, you'll have to inspect the motor itself to be sure it can be swapped, but pretty often they can. Also to make sure it's single phase! I've heard of Isis before but that's about the extent of my knowledge on them. Give it a look over and use your best judgement to see if it seems like a well made machine. Jointers are relatively simple machines, so as long as there are no glaring problems most things can be adjusted or fixed relatively simply. Oh and FWIW I'd be on my way now if I were you, that one's a steal at that price (presuming condition) and won't last long!!!

good luck,
JeffD

Frank Drew
01-15-2013, 5:56 PM
The machine (or hand plane) is called a jointer; a joiner is a person (or job category filled by a person), like a carpenter.

This is the first I've heard of an Isis Jointer, but from googling it seems that Isis Products Corporation (Taipei, Taiwan) made and extensive line of woodworking machinery under the Woodman logo; some tools had both badges on them (Isis and Woodman). I also think Isis might have gone out of business in the mid-Nineties. Which can have implications for spare parts, but if the machine is in good condition and the tables check out flat, parallel and co-planar with a straight edge and a cutting test gives good results, you might take a chance since the parts you'd likely need to replace on a jointer, such as knives and bearings, might be off the shelf items.