PDA

View Full Version : Mountainous Basement Floor

John Hart
04-30-2005, 8:43 AM
I hoping to tap some expertise with a project I'm about to start (that I've put off for two years)

I have a space in my basement that is about to become a library. I've gotten all the framing done but the floor has "rise" in the center. This mountainous area is probamatic for putting in a flat floor so I thought that I could just whack it with a power hammer and get it to reasonable flatness, then pour some kind of surfacing on it to get it to "liquid flatness".

Any advice out there? I don't have a lot of money for this and would love to do it "On the cheap". But I sure don't want to break the house. :eek:

Jeff Sudmeier
04-30-2005, 8:58 AM
How big is the mountain? If it is an inch or more, you may be affecting the structual integrity of the floor. If it it less, you should be able to take it out.

They do make diamond tipped cement grinders. I think they would be the ticket for this situation. You should be able to flatten out the cement without jackhammering it out.

John Hart
04-30-2005, 9:04 AM
How big is the mountain? If it is an inch or more, you may be affecting the structual integrity of the floor. If it it less, you should be able to take it out.

They do make diamond tipped cement grinders. I think they would be the ticket for this situation. You should be able to flatten out the cement without jackhammering it out.

Thanks Jeff...Yeah, ya know, I think it might be an inch. at the crown of this mountain, theres a crack...but no moisture. So, after shaving it, do I pour something over the top or just leave it alone?

Mark Singer
04-30-2005, 9:15 AM
John,

There are leveling products you pour like cement and they self level...its easy...you will lose the inch. Ardex is one....Gypcrete is another..and Sonneborne chemical has one similar to Ardex.

http://www.ardex.com/

http://www.durexcoverings.com/gypcrete.htm

http://www.chemrex.com/productcatalog/productlisting.asp

John Pollman
04-30-2005, 9:30 AM
How big is the room you're creating ?

What you can do is to find the high spot in the room and mark it. Then get a long level and set it on the point. You can use 2x4's and cut long "shims" out of them. You can then lay the shims out and just attach them to the floor with tapcon screws. Then when you get the tops of the shims all level you can pour a floor leveling compound in between each of the shims and screed it off. Let it set up and you're all done. This is a fairly simplistic explanation because there are several ways you can mark your 2x4's to make your shim. You could just lay a 2x4 on the high spot and then lay a long level next to it. Mark the level point at the end of the level and then connect the points (the corner of the 2x4 that's on the high point and the mark from the end of the level). Then just use a circular saw to cut it out. When attaching the shims to the floor a bit of construction adhesive will help and then just a couple of tapcon concrete screws will hold them in place. Then when you're pouring the they won't move around. If this sounds like something you might want to try drop me a line and I can help you out further. It should be much easier than removing the hump.

Good luck !

John

Ken Fitzgerald
04-30-2005, 10:10 AM
John....occasionally we have to level a floor to install the table for a Ct scanner or say the C-arm for a angiography fluoroscopy system. I've used ardex and as Mark says it works well. I've even built a dam out of duct tape around 4 sides of an area and poured within the dam. It's simple to use and works well!

John Hart
04-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas guys!

To answer your question John...the room is 13X13...but getting smaller. It sounds to me like I need to use all these suggestions to get it right. My wife actually volunteered to do the grinding...Woo Hoo!!!

I like the idea of grinding it down a little and then leveling. I heard that the Ardex was pretting expensive...but I'll take a look. Thanks for the links Mark.

The duct tape dam idea is perfect for the doorways too.

SMC sure is the place to be!

Thanks again

John Pollman
04-30-2005, 3:04 PM
John,

here's a link to an Ask This Old House episode where they did the exact same thing you're inquiring about. It has a link to find the leveling compound that they used. You just mix it up to a pourable consistency in a bucket and pour it out. It hardens sets up pretty quickly and you're ready to proceed.
Here's the link :
Floor leveling compound (http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tvprograms/asktoh/showresources/episode/0,16663,709282-1021154,00.html)

Jerry Clark
04-30-2005, 7:25 PM
Our local orange borg has a rental section and has concrete grinders and such! May want to check them out!:rolleyes:

Charlie Johnson
05-02-2005, 1:36 AM
If you decide to go with the self leveling program make sure to purchase and mix up enough of the material to completely cover the floor area to overcome the "capillary" action of the material and get a smooth surface. If the average fill is 1/2 inch your looking at 7 cubic feet of stuff. That's more than a bucket full.