PDA

View Full Version : Spraying varnish

Jim Knauss
04-30-2005, 8:01 AM
Hello all,
Anyone ever use a regular automotive type spray gun to sray varnish?
I'm just finishing up a sliegh bed i've been making for my nephew and would like to try something differant. I usually do the wipe on Poly thing which for what I do works OK, but is very hard on larger projects. Im putting a coat of BLO on first, let it dry, then spray a couple of coats of Varnish. Does this sound doable with a Sharp's auto type spray gun?

Thanks,
Jim Knauss, Sawmill Creek's poor cousin
PS Here's a Pic of progress so far ( hopefully ) :)

John Hart
04-30-2005, 8:11 AM
Jim,

I am "Finish Challenged" so I'll just wait to see everyone else's answers. But I love the bed!! Very cool. :)

Cecil Arnold
04-30-2005, 7:03 PM
I've never tried it but everything I have read on the subject says NO. I would recommend spraying a coat of shellac (blond dewaxed) over the BLO then several coats of laquer.

Jim Becker
04-30-2005, 8:05 PM
Most folks do not recommend spraying varnish. Not because you'll get a bad finish because with a properly adjusted gun and good technique you can get a very nice finish. The problem is that varnish dries very slowly in the scope of things and you'll end up with a sticky mess ALL OVER from any and all overspray. The best finishes to spray are those that dry/cure quickly...NC lacquer (with proper environmentals and personal protection and not anywhere IN your house), water-bourne acrylic products, shellac, etc.

If you want to use varnish on your project, stick with wiping or brushing. IMHO.

Alan Turner
04-30-2005, 10:26 PM
While I am not certain, I think that the only varnish that is commonly sprayed is conversion varnish. This is a two part varnish that dries quickly and is among the most durable of finishes. I believe that it is typically the finish on a factory produced kitchen cabinet, including as a clear coat over paint. I do not spray it, but have had it done at a finishing shop for a job or two that seemed to require this durability. I think it has to be mixed quite carefully, and that clean up is a PITA.

Jim Knauss
05-01-2005, 7:03 AM
I'll try lacquer then, instead of varnish. Thanks again for the help, almost pulled a boo-boo :)

Jim Knauss