PDA

View Full Version : Wixey table saw gadget - good?

John Piwaron
01-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Anyone here have that Wixey gadget that attaches to the table saw fence rail? If so, how's the quality? Both of the device and it's measurements. I mean, is it reliably repeatably accurate?

Charles Lent
01-15-2013, 12:38 PM
I've had one ever since Wixey first offered them, several years ago. It has made a huge difference in the accuracy of my table saw (a Unisaw with a 52" Unifence). Whenever I have to use the saw at work I keep wishing that they would add a DRO to it as well. Easily repeating previous cuts is where it really makes a difference. I can repeat cuts to less than .010" . Cutting on fixed increments is also very easy since it has a built-in incremental function. Since buying the table saw DRO I've been going digital on all of my woodworking tools, as the digital measuring devices become available for them. My router table and planer also have Wixey DRO and I frequently use my Wixey DRO calipers when measuring smaller parts.

I've also begun using lasers for more precision, speed, and safety (if my fingers have a red line on them they are in the wrong place). I have a laser line device projecting down onto my table saw from the ceiling. It keeps me aware of the blade path, even if the blade completely covered over, such as when making non-through saw cuts and dadoes. It also tells me exactly where the blade will exit the wood. Lasers are on my chop saw and drill press too.

Charley

Alan Lightstone
01-15-2013, 1:07 PM
I've been quite happy with my Wixey Table Saw DRO thus far.

Charles - Nice idea about the ceiling mounted laser. I like that one. Who's laser do you use?

Steve Wurster
01-15-2013, 1:12 PM
I have one, but have no idea how good it is. My initial attempt at securing the bracket to the fence resulted in a sloppy fit, so the bracket moves and therefore any reading is unreliable. This was a few weeks ago and I haven't gotten back to trying to fix it. Current shop priority is reorganizing, again (it's a basement shop and a good bit of space just cleared up), so I'll revisit this later.

George Bokros
01-15-2013, 3:53 PM
I have one and am disappointed with it. I zero it against the blade and as I move the fence the reading go crazy. I have had it for several years and have pretty much given up on it. Every time I take time to try to figure out what is wrong or what I am doing wrong I get frustrated and give up. Now the one on the router table is awesome.

Myk Rian
01-15-2013, 4:26 PM
I have one and am disappointed with it. I zero it against the blade and as I move the fence the reading go crazy. I have had it for several years and have pretty much given up on it. Every time I take time to try to figure out what is wrong or what I am doing wrong I get frustrated and give up. Now the one on the router table is awesome.
Is it possible the head is too far from the strip?

Bill Huber
01-15-2013, 6:21 PM
I have one on my Jet saw with a Mule fence and I will have to say I love it. I thought it was kind of a dumb thing at first but after reading a lot of post here I got one.

I was cutting some 1/4" dados and they were spaced 1 1/2" apart, the DRO was great for that. There was no measuring at all, set the fence at 1 1/2", cut the dado, then hit the ABS button, set the fence to 1 1/2, cut the dado and so on for all 15 of them, great tool.

George Bokros
01-15-2013, 6:25 PM

I didn't know the head clearance was adjustable. I contacted them and they sent me a new head and it did not make any difference. They never the head was adjustable. I will have to check it out.

Thanks

David Kumm
01-15-2013, 6:26 PM
If interested in the Wixey you should look at the Accurate Technologies Proscale too. More industrial version. Dave

Charles Lent
01-15-2013, 6:35 PM
Alan,

My ceiling mounted laser came from Woodline, but it has been discontinued for several years. They were marketing it as an alignment device or guide, but it's position adjustment is not anywhere near accurate enough for that. I trust my Wixey fence readout for making the correct cuts. The laser line approximates the blade cut line and warns me way ahead of time where the blade will be cutting. Like I said in my previous response "if my fingers have a red line on them, they're in the wrong place". I just feel more comfortable in always knowing where the blade cut line is, even when the blade is not coming through the top surface of the wood being cut. Also, knowing exactly where the blade will exit the wood is a big safety plus. The Woodline unit came with a "wall wort" power supply for running the laser (it holds batteries too) plus a little single button wireless remote that I attached to the top of my table saw fence with double sided carpet tape. The button turns the laser on and off so you don't have to control it from the ceiling.

Charley

glenn bradley
01-15-2013, 6:42 PM
I often read mixed results on these. I have had one for years and would buy another immediately if it disappeared. I do a fair amount of Greene and Greene style stuff and using the predictable repeatability and the 'incremental difference' features have become integral in how I work. YMMV.

P.s. I have experience the wacky readings that some folks report. This was always a battery quality issue. I figured out that spending a little more at the drug store when I really needed a battery was a lot more economical than paying less per battery for half a dozen online but, having them all too low to use when the time came. A new Duracell lithium cell will run the thing for over 6 months for me in SoCal. Our temperature swings are narrow with 40* being really cold and 105* being pretty warm.

George Bokros
01-15-2013, 6:55 PM
I often read mixed results on these. I have had one for years and would buy another immediately if it disappeared. I do a fair amount of Greene and Greene style stuff and using the predictable repeatability and the 'incremental difference' features have become integral in how I work. YMMV.

P.s. I have experience the wacky readings that some folks report. This was always a battery quality issue. I figured out that spending a little more at the drug store when I really needed a battery was a lot more economical than paying less per battery for half a dozen online but, having them all too low to use when the time came. A new Duracell lithium cell will run the thing for over 6 months for me in SoCal. Our temperature swings are narrow with 40* being really cold and 105* being pretty warm.

I purchased my batteries at Wal-Mart not on line. I will look for the adjustment and also try new batteries again.

George Bokros
01-15-2013, 7:42 PM

I believe this is the issue. Anyone now how to adjust that clearance?

Alan Lightstone
01-15-2013, 9:12 PM
Alan,

My ceiling mounted laser came from Woodline, but it has been discontinued for several years. They were marketing it as an alignment device or guide, but it's position adjustment is not anywhere near accurate enough for that. I trust my Wixey fence readout for making the correct cuts. The laser line approximates the blade cut line and warns me way ahead of time where the blade will be cutting. Like I said in my previous response "if my fingers have a red line on them, they're in the wrong place". I just feel more comfortable in always knowing where the blade cut line is, even when the blade is not coming through the top surface of the wood being cut. Also, knowing exactly where the blade will exit the wood is a big safety plus. The Woodline unit came with a "wall wort" power supply for running the laser (it holds batteries too) plus a little single button wireless remote that I attached to the top of my table saw fence with double sided carpet tape. The button turns the laser on and off so you don't have to control it from the ceiling.

Charley

Your purpose for the laser was what I was interested in. Pity it was discontinued. Thanks anyway for the info.

glenn bradley
01-15-2013, 9:23 PM
I believe this is the issue. Anyone now how to adjust that clearance?

Slide the readout off the rail and look at the back. There are 6 tiny phillips screws there. I do not know that these are really intended as tension adjustments but, as the felt pieces got compressed over the years I was able to get a few degrees of tightening on these, very slight, and it snugged things up (or so it seemed to me). My readout is not rattling-like loose on the rail but, it is easily wiggled about with fingertip force.

fred klotz
01-15-2013, 10:57 PM
I had a similar problem with mine when I first installed it. I had installed the green strip (attached to the fence tube) upside down. The instructions made a point of which way it goes, but I had taken the fence rail off to do the installation, and was working upside down. Felt like a real dummy when I contacted Wixey for support.

Peter Aeschliman
01-16-2013, 3:59 AM
I have one. I used it for a few months, but now I never use it. It's still on the saw.

The main reason I don't use it is because it goes through batteries way too fast. I got sick of replacing them. I think it's because when you turn it off, it's really only shutting off the screen. It's consuming battery to keep its setting, even when the screen is off.

Another thing I didn't really like is how the instructions say that you have to file the joint between the two aluminum extrusions to get a tight fit and thus an accurate reading (if you're using the long version). I don't know why they can't just cut the extrusions at a right angle for goodness sake.

When it's working, it works really well and is super accurate. But it's perpetually out of batteries. Really annoying.

Charles Lent
01-16-2013, 6:20 AM
Alan,

I sent you a PM.

Charley

George Bokros
01-16-2013, 7:27 AM
Slide the readout off the rail and look at the back. There are 6 tiny phillips screws there. I do not know that these are really intended as tension adjustments but, as the felt pieces got compressed over the years I was able to get a few degrees of tightening on these, very slight, and it snugged things up (or so it seemed to me). My readout is not rattling-like loose on the rail but, it is easily wiggled about with fingertip force.

Exactly what mine is doing. Thanks for the info. I ordered some small jewelers phillips screw drivers to adjust it.

keith micinski
01-17-2013, 8:33 AM
I love mine and if for no other reason then when you need to take just a fuzz off, without a readout you have no idea how much or if you even moved the fence at all. The Wixey shows you your incremental movements. Also cutting dadoes with it is really nice like someone else mentioned using the ABS feature.

Matt Meiser
01-17-2013, 8:44 AM
I had one, never again. I was constantly having to recalibrate mine. With no rhyme or reason it would skip 0.2, 0.4, etc. It would do it even without crossing the gap between the two sections. Batteries didn't make a difference. It was readjusted several times so that it was *just* loose enough to slide without unsticking the magnet. Wixey sent a new head. When they couldn't think of anything else, they blamed it on "static" I had similar issues with 1 of 2 Wixey planer readouts I've had.

If iGaging made one I'd be tempted to try theirs as I've had good luck with their digital scales on 2 machines. But honestly, the best thing you can do is buy a GOOD tape to replace the one that came on the saw and carefully install it to avoid stretching, ESPECIALLY if its plastic. I've had good luck with the Starrett and the Kreg ones that came with my miter saw fence seem good too.

keith micinski
01-17-2013, 10:21 AM
I think that there are probably some lemons out there but it seems like for the most part they are pretty good device's when adjusted properly. The two problems with a really accurate tape is that you still have to read it properly plus it's really hard to tell on a tape if you have moved a 64th or less.

Larry Prem
01-17-2013, 4:47 PM
I have had a Wixey on my saw for 2-3 years now. I consider a digital fence an essential upgrade that should be installed on every saw as soon as it comes out of the box. It makes a massive difference when building cabinets.

I have had no significant calibration issues, but the fence is not fool proof. For the price, however, I think it is a great tool.

Ray Newman
01-17-2013, 5:30 PM
On my Uni-saw, I once installed the 1990’s Delta Electronic Measuring System. Worked well, but my problem was that it devoured batteries. However the cause was probably being in an unheated garage and “economical” batteries. More than likely would still utilize it, but during an interstate move, the head was damaged.

What I liked about the EMS was that it did not hang down below the Uni-fence rail. The magnetic tape was applied directly to the aluminum rail.

On and off, I contemplate buying another digital read out. If I was buying today, I would very carefully consider the “DigiFence” by Accurate Technology. MSRP US$229.00. Very stout looking, protrudes approx. 1” from the fence rail bottom, and US made.

Read all ‘bout it:
www.proscale.com/products/digi/digifence.htm

Installation (see p 13 ff in the below link):
www.proscale.com/downloads/General_Purpose/INSTALLATION,%20ProScale%20,%20ALL%20Models,%20Rev %20G012012.pdf

John Piwaron
01-17-2013, 6:40 PM
The Wixey device is sounding o.k. Judging from the replies, like most things, you get what you pay for. Right now, I don't quite trust the tape that came with the saw. So when I can, I use my 12" scale. Otherwise my tape. For the fine move it a hair adjustments I use a dial indicator. This Wixey device could take care of all that inconvenience.

keith micinski
01-17-2013, 9:36 PM
I also forgot to mention that I bought a pretty good tape when I set my unifence up but I know for a fact there are multiple measurements that are wrong on it. Even if a wixey is "wrong" it should give you the same wrong measurement through out the entire scale.

Ed Aumiller
01-17-2013, 9:40 PM
Put one on about a year ago... was going digital in shop... waste of time and money...
Yes, it was very accurate... but on my woodworking, 1/100 of an inch is nothing... not needed....
Gave it to my son who took it to work in a factory... same thing...

Love the digital calipers, etc though...

Todd Brewer
01-17-2013, 9:52 PM
I have the Incra LS positioner fence. Extremely repeatable. Never use a tape measure, and it doesn't use batteries. Wouldn't own a table saw without one.

I put a Wixey on my planer years ago. Other than an occasional battery it still works. I agree with the poster that said it seemed to not completely shut off. As I come back to use the planer a few months later and it is dead. Then again I did buy on-line batteries, so who knows?

Planning on buying a Wixey for my router table.

Steve Wurster
01-17-2013, 10:19 PM
I love the Incra LS concept but don't have the room. So I asked for and got the Wixey TS for Christmas; but as I noted in an earlier post I haven't finished installing it.

For the Wixey on the planer, I simply remove the battery in between projects. Recalibration is simple with a scrap board; I keep a piece of pine around just for that. Same goes with the Wixey angle gauge; no need to keep the battery in there all the time. I would assume the same would be true for the TS version since calibration is just based off the saw blade.

keith micinski
01-17-2013, 11:40 PM
I have read enough bad battery threads to know it is an issue but for the life of me I wonder why some units suffer from it and some don't. I replace my battery about once a year which doesn't seem unreasonable to me and I don't do anything special other then shut the unit off when I am done.

George Bokros
01-18-2013, 9:12 AM
The battery is consumed in the off position to keep the unit calibrated, that is why it is never completely off. This fact is either in the instructions or on Wixey's website.

George

keith micinski
01-18-2013, 10:06 AM
I get that, I repeat, I change mine once a year at most and then I read other people say every time they go to use it they have a dead battery.

Erik Christensen
01-18-2013, 12:18 PM
I have one - it works - but I never use it. My beis fence is accurate to 1/32 even with my 60 year old eyes and I can't push wood past the saw blade any more accurate than that. Thought I would use it for repeatable dado's but found a festool router on a rail with micro adjust was better for that. Thought I would use it for repeatable thin cuts but found a festool track saw safer & easier. Wixey height gauges on my planer and drum sander are a different story - those get used every time I use the tool and are the cat's pajamas.

Peter Aeschliman
01-19-2013, 1:22 PM
I get that, I repeat, I change mine once a year at most and then I read other people say every time they go to use it they have a dead battery.

You're lucky, man! I've put duracells and energizers in mine, and they still only last 3-4 weeks. For a while, I was taking the batteries out every time I left the shop, but got really sick of the routine of taking them out, putting them back in, and recalibrating, sometimes only to make a few cuts.

I love the idea of the tool. I looked on the Accurate Technology website at the digifence and that seems to be a good buy, even though it's twice as expensive as the wixey. For the amount I use my tablesaw, I think it's worth it. This one uses AA batteries and it outright states that they last a year. That's more like it.

Dave huber
01-19-2013, 3:16 PM
I am in the market for a Wixey TS readout.
pif someone who doesn't like theirs would like to sell it, I'd be happy to discuss via PM.
Thanks.
Dave

George Bokros
01-19-2013, 3:58 PM
Well I tried to adjust mine and I cannot tighten the adjustment screws at all. Not sure what I am going to do at this point.

George

Curt Harms
01-20-2013, 6:57 AM
I had one, never again. I was constantly having to recalibrate mine. With no rhyme or reason it would skip 0.2, 0.4, etc. It would do it even without crossing the gap between the two sections. Batteries didn't make a difference. It was readjusted several times so that it was *just* loose enough to slide without unsticking the magnet. Wixey sent a new head. When they couldn't think of anything else, they blamed it on "static" I had similar issues with 1 of 2 Wixey planer readouts I've had.

If iGaging made one I'd be tempted to try theirs as I've had good luck with their digital scales on 2 machines. But honestly, the best thing you can do is buy a GOOD tape to replace the one that came on the saw and carefully install it to avoid stretching, ESPECIALLY if its plastic. I've had good luck with the Starrett and the Kreg ones that came with my miter saw fence seem good too.

My experience mirrors Matt's. I had a Wixey DRO on a Jet JJP and could never get it to work properly. Wixey sent me a replacement head but I still had the same issues. The iGaging scale mounted the same way works great and it's still on the original pair of batteries a year later. iGaging does make a 35" scale but you'd have to do your own design for mounting and fence removability.

Edit: Their web site does show an iGaging DRO on a Bies style fence. No details though.
http://www.igaging.com/page18.html

George Bokros
01-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Well I found out from Barry Wixey what my problem is. I installed the sensor strip upside down, I do not believe the instructions are clear. I cannot find the row of tiny holes in my strip.

Barry claims I can remove it using a hair dryer and reinstall it. Problem is I do not have the installation tool for locating the strips to each other. He wants $5 for that. I would think he would be willing to give it to me free for customer satisfaction. Guess I will have to order one and see if I am able to remove the strip successfully to reinstall. Worse case I have to order a new sensor strip at $35 which comes with an installation tool.

Matt Meiser
01-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Edit: Their web site does show an iGaging DRO on a Bies style fence. No details though.
http://www.igaging.com/page18.html

Looks like the bracket is bolted to the fence so you couldn't easily remove it. Plus for example in my situation its an inch short. I'd predict trouble eventually when the fence slams into the end.