PDA

View Full Version : Micro McNaughton Center Saver system.

Tim Leiter
01-15-2013, 10:58 AM
I just received the Micro McNaughton Coring System from the UPS guy last night. Upon inspection it looks like some of the parts have been used, I purchased a NEW set. Since it appears my set has been monkeyed with I just want to make sure I have the correct coring blades for the Micro. The blades I have fit into the large end of the handle. They will not fit in the small end. I am just guessing that the small end of the handle would accept the micro blades. If anyone has the micro set please let me know if I have the correct blades. The blade height is about 15mm or about 19/32" and they are about 3.02mm thick or 1/8"

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.
Tim.

Brian Kent
01-15-2013, 12:14 PM
I do not have any feedback about what is supposed to be in the box. Have you called the company to check with them?
Once this is worked out, I look forward to your feedback about the system.

Brian

Thom Sturgill
01-15-2013, 12:29 PM
According to the McNaughton site:

Micro Set: It includes 3 curved blades plus one straight blade of 3mm x 16mm (1/8" x 5/8") cross-section. The four pin gate supplied accepts both Micro and Small centre saving blades and the integrated hollowing gate can be used with Kelton 8mm (5/16") and 10mm (3/8") hollowers. The system is supplied with a KH2 handle and a 16mm (5/8") column but other sizes are available upon request.

Small Set: 3 curved blades plus one straight blade of 5mm x 19mm (13/64" x 3/4") cross section....The set is supplied with the KH2 handle and a 25mm (1") diameter column.

So, if yours are 1/8" thick they should be the micro blades. As to the handle:

KH2 (not shown) - 250mm x 31mm (10" x 1 1/4") diameter. Large opening accepts tool shanks up to 16mm (5 /8") ; narrow opening accepts tool shanks up to 13mm (1/2")

Hope that helps.

Tim Leiter
01-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Thank you Thom. I was confused when looking at various sites regarding the sizes of the knives. I think I have figured out the small opening on the other end of the handle might be for optional hollowing tools?
I guess I have the correct pieces but just not happy that I was sent a used item, (tool post has wear marks on it, the part the tool post fits into has paint worn off, there are circles on two of the coring blades that show they have been assembled with the allen bolts, and the tool gate has wear marks where a coring tool was used on it, rubbing paint off.
I have an email sent to the vendor I purchased it from to see if they will switch out with a new one, which I paid for. Or at lease offer a discount to me. Not happy with that vendor. I will not name them unless I get no satisfaction. Then I will send out about the questional actions by said vendor.
Thanks again for the replies, especially you Thom.
Tim.

Tim Leiter
01-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Brian, I have not called the company I got the McNaughton Micro system from, I sent an email last night as soon as I opened up the box. I will call if I get no reply from my email within a day or two. When I do get around to trying it I will attemp to give a bried review, just not sure when that will be though. I have a Jet 1014 with the variable speed replacement motor purchased from PSI. I have heard it may not have enough power but the Kelton website said it should. We'll see.
Tim.

Brian Kent
01-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks Tim. It does appear from the website that this is made for mini or midi lathes, so I assume that includes for the lower power engines. It sounds reasonable that you are open to either replacement or a discount because it is used / return item.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-15-2013, 11:34 PM
I have the micro set and a Jet Mini. You can core, but it will be hard, since the 1014 is so weak..... I have better luck on the second lowest speed, for some reason. I would think the lowest speed grants the most "power" but I have noticed that second gear is "better".

Sorry to hear you got a bum deal. I did have trouble with the post collar being too big, (thick) and that made the gate sit too high, resulting in the cutters also being too high. Keep an eye out for that. Good luck in getting a resolution!

Reed Gray
01-16-2013, 12:30 AM
The micro blades are designed for the mini lathes. I had no problem on my Jet 1224. Haven't tried it on one of the 1014s. You do want a combination of speed and torque, so lower speed ranges, and 500 or so rpm. The cutter head is very small, but you don't want to force the tool, but let it feed at its own rate. Maybe practice with a 1/4 inch wide scraper first.

The main problem with being too high is if the vertical blade won't fit into the arc of the cut, if that makes any sense. Too high and you are putting a square peg in a round hole, which will bind. Other than that, as you get towards the center, you can cut it all the way off only if it is on dead center.

robo hippy