PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a tube

Walt Langhans
01-15-2013, 9:53 AM
Hi All,

I had an idea but I'm not sure that it's possible. Could I take a cardboard tube ( a heavy one like they use for shipping stuff) and cut shapes into one side without going trough the other side? I assume if it is all possible it would have to be done with the use of a rotary attachment.

Thoughts?

Richard Rumancik
01-15-2013, 10:06 AM
It should be possible but there are quite a few variables that will affect the outcome. The tube diameter is a factor. If you have a short FL lens then the damage to the other wall will be less. Close control of beam energy would help (i.e. if you run at 110% of cut-through energy required then you will always cut but there will be less energy to cause damage.) Can you tolerate smoke damage on the inside of the tube on the opposite wall? If not then I would look at placing some kind of absorber inside the tube. It should dissipate the remaining laser energy. It should also allow smoke to exhaust. If you are doing quite a few it might be worthwhile to rig something up. If only one or two maybe you could just insert some crumpled aluminum foil into the tube. It will reflect in all directions and cause minimal damage.

Scott Shepherd
01-15-2013, 10:22 AM
It's very possible. I made a birdfeeder out of acrylic tubing years ago.

Bruce Volden
01-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Not sure of the tube size you're looking at, but, if it were me experimenting I would "line" the tube with a little aluminum foil???

Bruce

Walt Langhans
01-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Yeah I'm not worried about the inside of the tube, or any smoke damage. The tubes I'm looking at working with would range from 1" - 4" in diameter the aluminum foil makes sense that for the tip :)

Lee DeRaud
01-15-2013, 2:59 PM
Yeah I'm not worried about the inside of the tube, or any smoke damage. The tubes I'm looking at working with would range from 1" - 4" in diameter the aluminum foil makes sense that for the tip :)Shouldn't need the foil: unless you're grossly over-powered on the cut, the beam will be way out of focus on the opposite (inside) wall...might mark it, but certainly not cut through.