PDA

View Full Version : A couple of New things and their results

Roger Chandler
01-14-2013, 7:42 PM
I was back in my shop working on some roughouts for the lidded box demo at Central Virginia Woodturners tomorrow evening when I heard the mail truck drive up to the mailboxes. Jerry Marcantel had sent me an email earlier this morning and wanted me to call him when the chuck plate he sold to me arrived.....he had a couple of pointers for me on its use.

While I was not planning on using it today, and that is what I told Jerry......well, it got the best of me! :D As I mentioned to Jerry, I had a piece of a slab that was cut off an ash log that was given to me some months ago by Jeff Bartley. It was way out of balance, and had more wood on one side than the other, and had a big chainsaw gash in it......frankly, I wondered if I could ever turn the nice platter I hoped to get from it, because of the issue of holding it on the lathe without making it where it was too thin to turn.......a worm screw would have made it useless.

Ah....the chuck plate Jerry sent was just the ticket..........geez.......I really like this thing!!! :D Thank you Jerry!

The other new thing is that I got some Mahoney's walnut oil finish in last week, and I decided to use it on this platter.........geez..........I really like this stuff! :D I have not signed the bottom yet, because I still want to put a couple more coats of the Walnut oil on it, but this gives a nice satin finish that is food safe!

The platter is 15 inches in diameter. Also, a big thanks to Jerry for filling that flate rate box with some mesquite and olive wood!!! :D:D:D

John Keeton
01-14-2013, 7:58 PM
Congrats on your new toy, Roger! Looks amazingly like the one I have.:D Nice work on the platter. I particularly like the front - the multiplicity of beads on the back doesn't appeal to me, but you did a very nice job with them.

Jerry Marcantel
01-14-2013, 8:02 PM
Roger, I knew you were going to use it today. It was just a matter of when today. What'd you do, wait at least an hour? Huh?.. Glad it worked out for you. Nice platter... .......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Roger Chandler
01-14-2013, 8:13 PM
Roger, I knew you were going to use it today. It was just a matter of when today. What'd you do, wait at least an hour? Huh?.. Glad it worked out for you. Nice platter... .......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jerry....I got finished with a box roughout for tomorrow's demo, and looked over by my bandsaw and saw that piece of ash, just staring at me, mockingly.........I came in the house and got the chuck plate, which was still by the computer and phone, where I had spoken to you about 30 minutes earlier.........I thought.....we'll just see who has the last laugh! :rolleyes:

Man that chuck plate held with no issues whatsoever! The bark coming off one side of that ash slab really beat my hands up, but I think it was worth it......I am really pleased with this chuck plate.......thanks for engraving my name on it and the olive wood and mesquite!!! Much appreciated!

patrick stein
01-14-2013, 9:43 PM
hi guys how is this chuck used.

thanks patrick

Roger Chandler
01-14-2013, 10:21 PM
you can use it for thin blanks and blanks from logs........you apply tailstock pressure against the blank which in turn makes the points of the screws seat into the wood.......much better option on some pieces than a spur center which can drill its way into the blank and spin.........this will also spread the drive from a narrow spur center outward to the points of the screws......pretty nice deal!

Jerry has a tutorial on making one out of wood........just do a search on this site for chuck plate and you will see it!

Roger Chandler
01-14-2013, 10:36 PM
I took this platter back to the lathe and made one change.........I dished out the center up to the bead instead of having the flat area after the bead.......I think it looks much better this way.......sometimes you have to see something off the lathe before you get your design correct! ;)

Scott Hackler
01-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Nice plate. Now on to the cool looking face plate! :) Pardon my ignorance, but is the face plate used like a spur drive? I haven't seen a deal quite like that one.

Roger Chandler
01-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Nice plate. Now on to the cool looking face plate! :) Pardon my ignorance, but is the face plate used like a spur drive? I haven't seen a deal quite like that one.

Yes Scott......sort of........of course you put the tenon of the chuck plate into your chuck, and the points of the screws act to seat into the wood......perfect for a log blank or a thin piece that you would have trouble holding, and you use tailstock pressure to keep the points in the wood till a tenon is turned. A spur drive can sometimes drill into the wood and loose its hold, but this chuck plate has so many drive points and it spreads out the balance a bit making the blank more stable.

This platter blank was really lopsided....heavy on one side and thin on the other ......plus it had a big chainsaw gash in it, but with this chuck plate, I was able to mount it with the bark side to the tailstock and take off the bark and make a tenon to hold the blank and turn the backside of the platter, then I put it in the chuck and did the face of the platter......worked really slick.

Tony De Masi
01-15-2013, 8:50 AM
Nice work Roger. I really like how you got the platter to balance on top of the oil bottle.:rolleyes:

Roger Chandler
01-15-2013, 9:50 AM
Nice work Roger. I really like how you got the platter to balance on top of the oil bottle.:rolleyes:

Hey Tony! These large ones are your forte'.........can't let you DAMP guys have all the big ones! You know that you are the reason I got some of the Mahoney's Walnut oil ........after seeing your platters and bowls at Delilah's Gallery, and the finish you had on those..........well, I just had to give it a try! Thanks!

charlie knighton
01-15-2013, 10:50 AM
nice platter Roger, good to see some of Jerry's ideas in use

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Great looking platter Roger and face plate looks pretty cool.

Roger Chandler
01-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Great looking platter Roger and face plate looks pretty cool.

Thanks Bernie........every turner should make one of those chuck plates, in my opinion........Jerry has the tutorial on SMC, and I just was lucky to have him make me one out of metal.........this is a handy deal!

Mark Levitski
01-15-2013, 6:33 PM
http://www.woodworkersemporium.com/image/cache/data/Products/Vermec/ACC-190-500x500.jpg Like this one?

Jerry Marcantel
01-15-2013, 9:16 PM
http://www.woodworkersemporium.com/image/cache/data/Products/Vermec/ACC-190-500x500.jpg Like this one?

I saw this once about 4 months ago. I'd sure like to know when they first made it..... IMO, they don't have enough screws to do a proper job............ Jerry (in Tucson)

Roger Chandler
01-16-2013, 8:23 PM
I saw this once about 4 months ago. I'd sure like to know when they first made it..... IMO, they don't have enough screws to do a proper job............ Jerry (in Tucson)

I like your version better Jerry......more points to get a grip with!

Roger Chandler
01-22-2013, 3:11 PM
This has cured now, as far as I can determine. Since this was the first turning for me to use Mahoney's Utility finsish [Walnut oil] I am not sure about another coat of oils after the curing. :confused:

I originally put two good heavy coats of oil on it, and let it soak in for about 30 minutes or so, then did a light wipe off with a paper towel. The oil has soaked in good and it has been over a week, now, so I am wondering since it feels dry, and the wood has moved a smidgen [the center bead on the bottom has gone a little oval] should I apply more coats?

I was warned that if too many coats are applied that it can get a bit gummy.......is that likely to happen if I put another coat on after the others cured?

Any help from experienced users of Mahoney's would be appreciated! :)

Richard Jones
01-22-2013, 3:32 PM
Roger,

Walnut oil contains no hardeners and is not a build-type finish, so multiple coats, in my opinion, do nothing more than the original. Let it dry/cure and buff it out............... It's meant to be a utility-type finish.

Roger Chandler
01-23-2013, 6:12 AM
Thanks for the info Richard......appreciated!

Michael Dromey
01-23-2013, 8:45 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/content.php?129-Building-a-Chuck-Plate

Here is a link for it. It looks real slick.

mark ravensdale
01-24-2013, 2:37 PM
This is weird, a company over here in the UK (Axminster power tools) do a smaller but similar drive as the one you are using, it only has three spikes though and I used it for the first time yesterday (it too worked really well!!!) when I saw your pictures I thought WOW what a coincidence !!!
you guys over there in the US and Canada really are spoilt for choice when it comes to lathe/woodturning equipment, I wish we in the UK had so many small workshops/woodturning equipment suppliers, I sometimes look at the stuff you guys can get so easily (d-way tools /thompson tools and many others) with somewhat jealous eyes :)
having said that I only live around 11-12 miles from where the sorby - Henry Taylor - crown tools are made and they are so easy to get/buy over here
horses for courses I suppose !!!
there is a woodturning tool and carving tool maker over here called "Ashley Iles" who make some GREAT tools (real nice quality) I never seem to here there name mentioned by you turners over there in North America, if you get chance check them out, they still make tools the Old Fashioned way (but using modern steels of course!)