PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Dust Collection

Matt Meiser
04-29-2005, 10:45 PM
OK, now that I've got my new band saw ready to go, I need to get it hooked up to my dust collection system. On my old saw, I used PVC fittings and hose to do this, which worked great:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/mattmeiser/DSCF0887.jpg

I was all ready to do the same on my new saw and got as far as drawing the circle on the lower door to get ready to cut it out before I got cold feet. Now that I've got a really good saw, I'm not sure about cutting it up. Based on my past experience, the small port below the table just isn't adequate by itself. I've seen pictures of Terry Hatfield's design, which would require cutting away the side of the door. Is there any option for really good collection that doesn't require butchering the door? Or should I just stop worrying and do it as I originally planned?

Michael Perata
04-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Matt

This is sort of a gloat but I had a Jet DC1100CK hooked up to my MM16 and it wasn't catching 1/3 of the dust. I too was thinking of cutting into the door.

Then...I got my Oneida 2 HP DC fired up last week end and after maybe 40' of sawed plywood, there wasn't ANY dust left in the machine.

Jay Albrandt
04-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Hey Matt,

I know how you feel about new tools. But, I cut a 4"x6" hole in my BS door and the improvement in dust collection was well worth it. I would rather "ruin" a door than my lungs.

Just my 2 cents.

Jay

Norman Hitt
04-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Matt, you could always remove the lower door, and get a piece of plywood or even sheetmetal and cut it to the door size, and put a DC outlet in it and try it to see if it is worth it or not. Heck, if it works on that machine, you might even want to just leave it on the machine and save the door in its Pristine condition for later.

Andy London
04-30-2005, 5:27 AM
My Delta came with a 4" port but it wasn't enough so I too added a port under the table, with a bagged unit I cought close to 85%, with the cyclone now hooked up, it's closer to 99", I did change some of this piping around but don't have new images yet.

http://www.picframer.ca/bandsaw2.jpg

Alan Turner
04-30-2005, 6:51 AM
Andy,
I love your walls.

Mike Cutler
04-30-2005, 9:16 AM
Matt. Here is a previous post by Dominic Greco for an under the table dust collection solution.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7744

Jim Becker
04-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Matt, just make sure you can fully open that lower door so you can get a 1" carbide tipped blade on the machine!! ;) ;) ;) (Excellent choice in saws...)

Matt Meiser
04-30-2005, 10:29 AM
Matt, just make sure you can fully open that lower door so you can get a 1" carbide tipped blade on the machine!! ;) ;) ;) (Excellent choice in saws...)

Mine has the older style doors you completely remove. On my old saw, everything for the dust collection was mounted to the door, so when changing blades, everything was out of the way.

The 14" saws can take a 1" blade?

Jim Becker
04-30-2005, 10:32 AM
The 14" saws can take a 1" blade?

Ach...I mistakenly saw the picture that Jay posted as yours. Sorry for the confusion. My appologies.

No, a 14" saw cannot take a 1" blade. You can get away with a 3/4" low tension blade in many cases, however. An updated tension spring from Iturra makes that even more likely.

Matt Meiser
04-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Ach...I mistakenly saw the picture that Jay posted as yours. Sorry for the confusion. My appologies.

No, a 14" saw cannot take a 1" blade. You can get away with a 3/4" low tension blade in many cases, however. An updated tension spring from Iturra makes that even more likely.

Well, obviously the only way to fix this mistake is for Jay and I to trade saws. :D :D :D