PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Chuck for Craftsman Drill Press

Andy Haney
01-14-2013, 4:44 PM
Good afternoon!

Earlier today I pulled out my manuals and went on-line to order a replacement chuck for a floor model Craftsman drill press I bought 15 yrs (+/-) ago. GUESS who no longer has repair parts available?

I'm looking for vendors who have a fair chance to provide a replacement chuck for my press. Please understand this machine doesn't likely warrant the $150-$200 chuck. I'd likely replace the machine before I did that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Andy Haney
Ottawa, KS

Jeff Heath
01-14-2013, 5:31 PM
What you really need to look at is what type of chuck you are replacing. If it's a Jacobs, there will be a number on it, which will tell you the taper as well as the size.

For instance, you can get Jacobs chucks with a MT 2 (Morse taper #2), or a J33, or (the list is very long), or you can get one that is a 1/2" straight shank with a threaded end.

Once you've determined what shank chuck your drill press takes, you can find a high quality used or NOS Jacobs chuck for under $50. I've got about 10 of them laying around in various sizes. They are quite common, and the auction site has hundreds of them for sale.

Jeff

Ronald Blue
01-14-2013, 9:20 PM
What drill press is it? When you extend the quill all the way down if it has a Morse taper there will be a slot visible where a drift can be inserted to knock it out. In essence it's just a tapered wedge. If this is what it has it will probably be a #2 as Jeff mentioned. Many reasonably priced options on Amazon. Keyed and keyless with new taper shank included.

Andy Haney
01-14-2013, 10:15 PM
The model is 113.213150 Right now I have it set up to finish a project (a day or two). Then I'll disassemble with a drift and see what I've got. Based on looking at the manual, the drift key will force out the "arbor" (with the chuck). the arbor has a rectangular end that fits into a notch in the spindle. The arbor and the chuck are separate parts, but I don't find any instructions on separating them. We'll see. Thanks for the help.

Andy

Andy Haney
01-21-2013, 9:40 AM
Project complete. Started working to remove the arbor and the chuck...chuck came off with arbor still in place. The Chuck is ONLY marked with "RJ3-16L". Based on some information I found on the web, the chuck is a Jacobs taper #3. I''m thinking I may be able to find a replacement with that information. Is there anything else (specifications) I need to look for before shopping? Ant recommended on-line vendors?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

John McClanahan
01-21-2013, 12:27 PM
I bought a small Asian made keyless chuck for my lathe that I'm happy with. I found it on ebay. I'm thinking about replacing the chuck on my drill press with a keyless someday.

John