PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Favorite Hex Drive Drill Bits & Why?

Stew Hagerty
01-14-2013, 2:22 PM
OK, I have a really nice set of Brad Point bits and I have a set of rugged Carbide Tipped bits. But, for every day, I need a quick hole drilled bits, I use hex drive bits. The problem I keep running into is that when I break or simply wear out one, I can't seem to be able to buy individual replacement bits in all sizes. Now, I'm not saying this is true for all brands, but for Ryobi it certainly is.

So, I thought I would post this poll to see what you all are using and why. I figure if I'm going to get a new set, I might as well get some recommendations. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that uses this type of bit, so the information should help others as well.

Thomas Hotchkin
01-14-2013, 2:38 PM
Stew
I like the Insty-Drive Drill Bit Adapter Set, Drill bits are held in place with a set screw for easy replacement. They also come in a set that has a counter sink built in each adapter. I picked up my set years ago at Rockler, you can order on line from Amazon. Tom

jim gossage
01-14-2013, 2:40 PM
Harbor freight used to sell a set of 1/16-1/4 in 1/64 increments for about ten bucks. I have been using them for 6+ years and am happy. I actually bought two sets in case 1 bit breaks or gets dull, but this has only happened once or twice.

glenn bradley
01-14-2013, 3:57 PM
I checked other as I avoid hex bits for the reasons you state. Maybe a fix for you would be something like this? http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/MS-0020/Snappy-7pc-Bit-Set-Hex-Shank

Mark Ashmeade
01-14-2013, 4:16 PM
Harbor Freight $5.99, nitride coated. Every bit as good/bad as the brandname ones. I'm usually conscious of brands, but drill bits are practically consumables.

Mark Wooden
01-14-2013, 4:47 PM
+1 on the InstyBits. You can replace just the bits when you break them or they go dull with US made drills. I use their countersinks also, they stay sharp for quite a while and are easy to sharpen when they dull. I get mine locally now, but used to buy from McFeely's.

Michael W. Clark
01-14-2013, 5:09 PM
I just got a Snappy set for Christmas. It has several hex adaptors that allow you to change out the bits with the brand of your choice once they wear out. I can't comment on the bits that came with it as I haven't used them very much yet. The set also came with an adaptor for use in a standard chuck. The countersinks are pretty nice compared to what I was using. Everything seems to be very well made.

Dan Bowman
01-14-2013, 6:07 PM
Snappy's for me as well: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5LGOC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00.