PDA

View Full Version : Laguna bandsaw problem

Ellen Benkin
01-14-2013, 1:32 PM
A friend has a 14" Laguna bandsaw which I tried to use this weekend. This is an older model with the blade tensioning controlled by a screw at the top of the bandsaw. She got it a couple of years ago but never used it for fine work. We wanted to change blades and somehow we were able to take off the old (resaw) blade but we could not install the new blade. The problem is the knob on the top which is supposed to turn a screw thing to raise and lower the top blade holder so that you can tension or loosen the blade. The knob turned, but did not turn the screw thing. We were able to unscrew the knob and it does not appear to have anything like a set screw to make it grip the screw thing. As a result, you can take the knob off or tighten it all the way and make no difference in the blade tension. The manual from Laguna is pretty much useless in solving this problem. Sorry for using all the non-technical terms but I am a bandsaw neophyte. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

Mike Wilkins
01-14-2013, 3:32 PM
Give the Laguna folks a call. They have a customer service line that will have someone contact you with your concerns and offer solutions. Have the machine model number on hand and the parts diagram if possible. They have been a great help with the 2 minor problems I had.

Gus Dundon
01-14-2013, 4:03 PM
I think photos can help so that guys here in sawmil can better understand the situation. I am not that familiar though with the screw thing you are referring.

Eric DeSilva
01-14-2013, 5:20 PM
I might be inclined to put a jam nut under--and above--the handle. That would prevent it from spinning off.

Jimmy Horrocks
01-14-2013, 6:51 PM
Call them, or if your in a hurry, go to their web site and see if they have your manual available for download.

Nick Lazz
01-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Yes, Pictures would help. I am a 14SE owner and may be able to help.

Alan Lightstone
01-15-2013, 8:49 AM
It doesn't have the big lever in the back like my 14SUV?

Ellen Benkin
01-15-2013, 1:40 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sorry I didn't take pictures. The manual is useless -- badly written text and even worse pictures -- and does not address this problem. No, it doesn't have the lever -- that's the next model after the one she has. I will urge her to call Laguna and try to get help over the phone.

Gus Dundon
01-15-2013, 2:36 PM
Goodluck then! Hope you'll get your band saw fix asap.