PDA

View Full Version : JJ-6 Jet Jointer Guard Replacement

Rich Purdum
01-14-2013, 12:58 PM
I have a very old JJ-6 (the version where the fence is attached to the end of the infeed table). The blade guard had broken off and been glued several times when I picked it up from the PO. In my recent move the guard was again broken and I figure maybe it is time to replace rather than repair.

In looking at the exploded parts diagrams for the more recent JJ-6 models, their guards appear to be configured exactly like my unit (with some cosmetic differences). Before I order a replacement, could someone verify that the shaft on the newer guards is 1/2" in diameter by about 5" long?

TIA

Dick Mahany
01-14-2013, 4:22 PM
Mine is a late '90s white JJ6. The guard shaft is 1/2" OD and the exposed shaft length is 3-1/2", Total height from bottom of the shaft to the top of the guard is 4-3/4". Hope that helps.

Rich Purdum
01-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Dick,

Thanks. Looks like the newer shaft is about 1/4" shorter than my version. Mine is 5" top to bottom and 3-3/4" exposed. Since I'm also considering also replacing the spring/spring knob assembly, it would be good to know the distance from the bottom of the guard to the beginning of the slot on the shaft. As long as the newer guard will seat fully over the spring I could avoid that expense. When you have a chance could you measure yours and let me know? No rush as I have epoxied on the broken one as a temporary repair.

Rich

Dick Mahany
01-15-2013, 2:41 PM
Rich,

The distance from the bottom of the guard to the top of the slot = 2.35" and the slot length is 1.18" from the bottom end of the shaft.

Rich Purdum
01-15-2013, 3:50 PM
Dick

Many thanks for your help. The new version will work on my old machine just fine. Going to order one plus a new spring as my existing one was mangled when I purchased it.

In trying the get the repaired guard installed the repair broke again. Going to try some reinforcing and limp along until the replacement arrives.

Cheers for now...

Rich