PDA

View Full Version : How is it made.

Joe Hillmann
01-14-2013, 12:54 PM
First: My camera is not working at the moment so I can't put up pics to show what I am asking about.

I am refinsihing/fixing a table and I am trying to figure out how the legs were made. The legs are about 6 inches in diameter at there widest point and were turned on a lathe (I assume). But for about 1 foot in the middle of the legs (middle from top to bottom) there are 16 "beads" carved into the legs going up and down.

I am trying to figure out how the beads were carved into the legs.

This isn't the leg but should give you an idea of what I am talking about. How were the vertical beads carved in on antique furnitur (before CNC)
http://i.vandykes.com/images/xl/202020.jpg

Bob Bergstrom
01-14-2013, 1:11 PM
Either carve by hand, or a router was used in a jig that guided it along a template. It also can ride on a bearing along the surface if the surface allows it. Fluting is the same technique just a different bit or carving tool.

Joe Hillmann
01-14-2013, 1:34 PM
Bob,

I don't mean to be disrespectful, and you probably know more about turning then I do, but I doubt they were carved by hand, they are too perfect for that and due to its age I doubt a router was used. My first thought was that a plane was used but since it would have to go over curves a regular pane wouldn't work.

Right now I am leaning towards the beads being carved originally with a scratch stock but don't know it it is possible to cut groves that deep that way.

Sean Hughto
01-14-2013, 1:52 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-Cabinetmakers-Michael-Dunbar/dp/0806967005

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-14-2013, 2:26 PM
Bob gave you the most likely scenario for an "old" piece based on the link you provided. If the diameter of your beads changes from top to bottom, it is unlikely thay were machine made. Today we have multi axis CNC routers that can easily duplicate the tapering beads. Years ago the only way to form a long bead with a changing diameter was literally by hand. Don't expect the perfection of such beads eliminates the possibility of hand work. Just because those skills are no where to be found now, does not mean they were not available years ago.
faust

Mike Cruz
01-14-2013, 8:42 PM
And there a PLENTY of people that can do them NOW!!!! I'm not saying that I can do them perfectly, but they aren't as hard as they look. Of course, a curved bead is that much harder than a straight one, but if a master craftsman had done a bunch, you would not only be amazed at how perfect they were, but how perfect they were, too.

It won't be too long before people look at perfectly done dovetails and wonder how those were made before router templates...

Michelle Rich
01-15-2013, 6:56 AM
those are fluted..probably done with a router...or other kind of cutter. I doubt your legs are over a couple hundred yrs old..then they would have been carved. But even if they are fairly old, they were still done with a machine.