PDA

View Full Version : Alignment pins for drawbore pins

Kurt Cady
01-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Schwarz recommended getting a cheap set of pins from Sears. That was about 3 years ago. Those sets are no longer sold, or I can't find them.

Anyone have any ideas of where to find a set of steel alignment pins? Anyone made any lately?

I like the idea of a $10-15 set that I can make 2-3 different sizes. A couple sets and I'll have pairs. Cheaper than the $60 per pair that LN and LV want.

Thanks in advance

Joe Hillmann
01-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Any hardware store should have a selection of two or three sizes of drifts next to the cold chisels. You can use them as they are or cut them shorter and put a nice wooden handle on them. And maybe polish them up so they don't leave black marks on your wood.

I am not sure if it is ok to post links but here is a set that has one drift in it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00904285000P?vName=Tools&cName=HandTools&sName=Punches%20&%20Awlsmv=rr

If you want a set that has multipul drifts you will have to look at the$40 set.

steven c newman
01-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Most hardware stores (ACE, DIY) while have a selection singles. One good brand they seem to have is called Enderres(sp) chisels. I have a few, sitting around in the toolbox. Might take a stroll through a hardware store......

edit: Harbor Freight also has sets of these.....

Bryan Ericson
01-14-2013, 9:55 PM
My local Sears has them. They call them "line-up punches". http://www.sears.com/tools-hand-tools-punches-awls/s-1221050715?keyword=line-up+punch

harry strasil
01-14-2013, 10:39 PM
If you really think you need tapered punches instead of just tapering the ends of your dowels or pegs or pins or trunnels. Just go to ACE Hdwe or some other place and get some cold rolled round rod, taper the end on your belt sander after cleaning all the sawdust from it and make a handle to drive the punch into, making sure you use a cold chisel and make some cuts in the end you are gonna drive in the handle to hold it in. You also might consider drilling a hole thru the handle and rod to put a nail thru and peen both ends flush with the handle. Or is that too simple?

harry strasil
01-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Personally, I just pull the joint together with a clamp or clamps, taper the end of the pin a little, then drill a hole 1/64" OR 1/32" SMALLER than the dowel or pin or whatever depending on its size and drive it in sans glue, like the old timers did. FWIW