PDA

View Full Version : Need curly cherry advice

Joe McMahon
01-14-2013, 10:05 AM
I am building a student's desk from white oak and curly cherry. The drawer fronts will be from curly cherry. I would like to highlight and preserve the curly and avoid splotching. I was thinking of using Zinsser dewaxed topcoat cut 50% and then possibly Waterlox original sealer finish?

My finishing skills are on a par with my rocket science skills- non existent and any advice would be appreciated.

Scott Holmes
01-14-2013, 1:17 PM
Test it on a scrap piece. If you like it, then you are good-to-go.

Prashun Patel
01-14-2013, 1:35 PM
If you have not applied shellac before - or are not comfortable spraying, the shellac step might complicate things for you.

If it were me, I'd just go straight to the Waterlox OSF. Flood on the first coat, and be patient; it takes several thin coats until the coats go on completely evenly and without marks. FWIW, the mistake I (still) make with wiping varnish is expecting it to look great after 2-3 coats. You really have to resist the temptation to keep wiping - especially Waterlox, which dries pretty quickly. If it gets cloudy, let it. The next - or next after that - coat will take care of it.

Also, many people counsel that you can apply about 3 coats of wiping varnish in a day with 45 mins drying time in between. I wouldn't try this with Waterlox -especially if you are finishing in slightly cooler temps. I have the best results applying one thin coat first thing in the morning, and last thing at night.

Also, beware of sanding in between every few coats with mineral spirits. If you do this, you have to really wipe it down and let the top dry well. The first coat after a sanding will likely go on cloudy. Let it. It'll come clean on the next coat.

Scott Holmes
01-14-2013, 5:58 PM
Prashun,

Waterlox is not a what I would call a fast drying varnish. Waterlox is one of the slowest. The wipe-on technique is 3 coats per day. With Waterlox you most likely can't reapply in 45 minutes; more like 3 hours... so your technique will work like a charm.

As for wet sanding between coats... nope, I don't do that. I dry sand between coats and when needed... wipe-on coats are so thin that no sanding usually takes place during the first 6 coats or so, in my shop.

Joe McMahon
01-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Prashun, I bought a quart of Waterlox OSF tonight. The instructions say to use a bristle brush to apply. Do you recommend wiping it on instead of the brush?

Joe

Scott Holmes
01-15-2013, 6:59 PM
Either is acceptable. Wipe-on will dry faster because you are leaving so much less finish.

Joe McMahon
01-15-2013, 8:06 PM
Scott and others who answered, thanks ever so much for your help.

Prashun Patel
01-15-2013, 9:18 PM
I have applied it with a bristle brush and even a foAm brush. Personally, i prefer to wipe. If you go on the website for waterlox they describe that you can wipe or brush.