PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
01-14-2013, 9:08 AM
14 Jan 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
The rain has now moved on and we got some very much needed rain. I went out to the shop and emptied about 45 gallons of water out of the containers scattered around the shop to catch the dripping water. Metal building with a metal roof. It has always leaked from the time when we bought the house and I've never been able to stop the leaks. I just don't know anything about metal roofs. If it was a shingle roof, then I'd know how to fix the leak. So, I keep buckets and plastic containers scattered around the inside perimeter of the shop and empty the water on a regular basis.

I'm oncall this week and will be every 4th week now due to changes at work. I haven't finished the bowl for my neighbor yet, but I hope to soon. We managed to stay dry this weekend with all the heavy rains, but now it's back to a fire in the stove and below freezing morning temps.

That's it for me, so what did you do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Gregory King
01-14-2013, 9:56 AM
Was in the shop all week-end catching up on things. Wood heat felt great. Made a plywood base with casters to replace the feet on my pancake PC compressor. Cleaned a large deal of old crut from my General 14" planer that I bought last fall. Going to separate the top from the base so I can install the new single phase motor. Will install the new set of knives next week-end if I can get a new setting guage. Will check with LV. Truly enjoyed the time to myself in the shop. Greg

Matt Meiser
01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
I returned home late last night from an 8 day trip to the Hampton Roads area for meetings at a client (unfortunately had zero free time to meet up with Keith) then on to meet my wife in St. Louis for a company meeting/holiday party and then a little time with family that lives in the area. I did manage to sneak in my annual visit to the St. Louis Rockler which is possibly more convenient for me to get to than the one in the metro Detroit area.

Rod Sheridan
01-14-2013, 10:23 AM
No wood working, one sick cat however who had to go to our Veterinian on Saturday, then the emergency clinic overnight Sunday, now back at our Vet for today.

It seems to have a been a stroke in my 14 year old shop cat, Ellington............Hard to stay focused at work this morning...............Rod.

Andy Fox
01-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Getting ready to paint the shop...

I washed the bottom half of the bare concrete walls (top half is insulated) and the concrete floor in my soon to be new basement shop. I used Mr. Clean, a push broom as a scrub brush, a garden hose, and a shop vac in what seemed like an endless 5 hours of scrubbing and spraying for a small percentage of the time, and then vacuuming it up the other four hours and 45 minutes. :rolleyes:

I finished up around 9pm last night, and so far, I've emptied about 4 gallons of water from the dehumidifier I put in there.

Danny Thompson
01-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Good morning, All!

Satisfying weekend consolidating my shop. My 3 no-car garage/woodworking shop/garden center/hoarder's paradise is 80% of the way toward an organized, respectable, space.

Step one was to consolidate the woodshop into the right half of the 2-car bay. A big facilitator of this change was a decision to invest in a router table extension wing (on order) and cull the 3'x7' junk-collecting workbench it was embeded in. Mobile bases for the jointer, bandsaw, drill press, and planer/sander table made the tight quarters in the back workable. And, of course, a lot of scraps hit the bin. In the end, everything made it into this space except my sheet-goods cart. The biggest loss is the infeed support that the workbench provided; a couple of mobile stands will have to serve that purpose. Longer term, I would like to add a small-to-medium-sized woodworking bench on the inboard side.

The car fits comfortably on the right side, now. Bay 3 still needs some cleanup, but is well on its way to becoming a craft/gardening/finishing room for the Pinterest Queen.

Shawn Pixley
01-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Not the best weekend here. We SoCal folk are weather wimps. Friday night was the coldest I've experienced here - 37 F. I had a migraine all day Saturday, so not much got done. Our son was sick all weekend with the flu so we covered his duties to dogs and house. Yesterday, I felt better so a little work got done on adding the next coat of finish and a glue-up of a dovetailed box project. I then helped my neighbor keep his appendages when he was working on a side table project.

Matt Meiser
01-14-2013, 12:15 PM
-37? That IS cold anywhere! :D Sorry, had to say it since that's how I read it the first time.

Gregory King
01-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Never gets that cold up here either. Have to admit something, is amiss with that temp. Greg

Jamie Lynch
01-14-2013, 1:22 PM
I put up some more insulation and OSB on the wall in the shop, got my new (to me) Unisaw dialed, made a couple ZCI's, installed MJ splitters, played with new dado set and started a work on a few birthday gifts

Jason Fastenau
01-14-2013, 1:44 PM
Drove to town, (about an 8 hour round trip drive), and picked up a bunch of construction material, including a mess of oak. Yesterday evening I got the first window trimmed out in our addition. I don't have any pictures, but I'm happy with how it turned out. We are having a warm spell, so I want to push this week to get the windows all trimmed and the winter plastic up before it gets cold and they ice up on us again.

Ralph Butts
01-14-2013, 2:52 PM
I purchased a new home just after Thanksgiving and I can finally say that this past weekend my wife and I transferred every last item from the old house to the new one. The last scrap has been removed from my old two car garage workshop to the new 1782 square foot shop. Nothing of course is setup nor in its final resting place but I must say that I feel like I have accomplished a moral victory if nothing else. I don't think I will ever move myself again and I pray that I will not have to.

Joe Mioux
01-14-2013, 5:11 PM
Glued some wood for a project.

David Hostetler
01-14-2013, 5:26 PM
Took down and packed up the Christmas lights / ornaments from the swamp of a yard between storms this weekend. Installed a low voltage bracket, and a brush type wall plate into the small bedroom the home office is moving into. Ran into a Sketchup snag working on the design for the LAN rack and computer desk. Other than that, really didn't get much done. Been cold and wet. Sort of sucked my get up and go right out...