PDA

View Full Version : Is Your Home Theater Worthy?

Jim Becker
04-29-2005, 9:00 PM
Check out this over-the-top home theater setup... http://theater.stevejenkins.com/gallery/complete/

Oy, Veh!!

Mark Singer
04-29-2005, 9:05 PM
They had wide screens at the Parthenon? I did't see any when I was there..:confused:

Karl Laustrup
04-29-2005, 9:52 PM
Is my "HOME THEATER" worthy? I think not, because I don't have one. Even my "HOME" isn't worthy of that set up. :(

What's the admission price?

Joe Mioux
04-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Wow!...This puts a whole new meaning to Home Theater. I do recognize a few electronic manufacturers from my audiophile past, i.e. Carver and to a more mass apeal extent Marantz and there are a few others.

JayStPeter
04-29-2005, 10:39 PM
That one is real nice, impressive.

Here's another that's pretty cool.
http://www.reighn.com/theaterphoto.html

So far mine has to "fit in" with the rest of the house in the family room. Once I finish out the other part of the basement, I'll have something a little more spectacular. But, nothing like these things.

Jay

Tim Morton
04-30-2005, 6:37 AM
Check out this over-the-top home theater setup... http://theater.stevejenkins.com/gallery/complete/

Oy, Veh!!

And I thought drilling holes in my floor and building a custom subwoofer into the floor(when building the house) from underneath was pretty cool beans:D

John Motzi
04-30-2005, 7:18 AM
And when life is over it doubles as a funeral parlor too

John Hart
04-30-2005, 7:33 AM
And when life is over it doubles as a funeral parlor too

I was thinking the same thing.....BLECK!! Call me a simple fool...I just wouldn't be comfortable in that room.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-30-2005, 8:00 AM
While I'm sure it's nice, I wouldn't be comfortable in having that in my home. But...to each their own.

Jim Becker
04-30-2005, 9:15 AM
I was thinking the same thing.....BLECK!! Call me a simple fool...I just wouldn't be comfortable in that room.

I totally agree...not my kind of architecture statement!

John Shuk
04-30-2005, 9:28 AM
I have to say HOLY MACKERAL! What can one say? All it takes is money.

Jim Becker
04-30-2005, 9:29 AM
All it takes is money.

Money is one thing...how you use it is another! ;)

Keith Starosta
04-30-2005, 9:54 AM
Before my love and addiction for woodworking took full hold, I was a full-on home theater junky. While the theater that Jim posted was VERY over-the-top as far as I'm concerned, I have seen some very, very nice dedicated setups. It's like any other addiction....eerr......hobby. You can spend as much or as little as you want to get to your mental end product. My brother-in-law has a dedicated home theater that offers three rows of tiered berkline theater recliners, 7.1 surround, a Marantz overhead projector going down to a 110" screen. For some.....over-the-top. For me, there is no better way to enjoy a movie in the comfy confines of your own place. :D

Keith

Ian Abraham
05-01-2005, 6:31 AM
:rolleyes:

I guess having money is one thing... and having good taste is a completely different thing...

What a waste of good workshop space :D

Ian

Michael Ballent
05-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Now that is WAY over the top!!! At least the contractors were laughing all the way to the bank when this person showed up :D

Steve Jenkins
05-02-2005, 1:05 PM
And no it's not me. :)

Doug Jones
05-02-2005, 1:35 PM
One man's home theatre setup is no different than to another man's festool purchase. Obviosly this guy values his home theatre as much as some of you value your "over the top" tool purchase. Who are we to judge how one spends thier money.

Jim Becker
05-02-2005, 1:41 PM
Doug, I know I had no intention of judging with my origination of this thread...I just found the extent that the individual went aesthetically to be more than surprising. It's not the size of the theater or the (dynamite) equipment that caught my eye; rather, the decorative nature of the home theater facility.

And yes, we all have things to us that are worth the investment that others might not consider in the same light...that's what makes a community so interesting!

Jon Olson
05-02-2005, 2:57 PM
I think the system is great - design?? WAY over the top...but a cool statement. He really likes the look and when to the extreme.

thanks Jim.

jon

Steven Wilson
05-02-2005, 4:40 PM
A bit too gaudy for me and the electronics are fairly low end, but then for home theater you really don't need much on the audio side

Jim Becker
05-02-2005, 6:42 PM
but then for home theater you really don't need much on the audio side

I agree about this. I have what I'll call a mid-range Sony Home Theater setup for the audio/DVD. (DAV-FC8) It's no Bose system, but it will easly knock the house down when I have it at the volume level I enjoy...the sub makes all the difference in the world in these systems for watching action video and even HiDef concerts in 5.1 surround via Comcast cable. It would never pass muster for an audiophile listener, but for what I paid for it (AMEX points, actually... ;) ) it's just grand!

Jason Roehl
05-02-2005, 7:44 PM
I agree too, Jim. With the move to digital audio, today's $200 amp blows away yesteryear's $1000 amp. As for that home theater setup, I wonder how detrimental to sound quality all that gaudy decorative junk is...

I'm also not sold on the sub/cube speaker setups. My brother bought one (Bose, I think), and I noticed immediately the lack of a midrange.

Jim Becker
05-02-2005, 9:23 PM
I'm also not sold on the sub/cube speaker setups. My brother bought one (Bose, I think), and I noticed immediately the lack of a midrange.

I wonder if that's why the newer versions of the Bose higher end systems now have active/automatic equalization to insure that one doesn't loose pieces of spectrum in any given room. I'm unfortunately not a good judge anymore for this due to hearing problems in my right ear that are not consistant across frequencies...

Greg Mann
05-03-2005, 12:26 AM
There's an old Slavik idiom that roughly translates, "Each man is crazy in his own way." Can't improve on that thought.

Greg

Greg Mann
05-03-2005, 12:28 AM
And no it's not me. :)

Come on, Steve. That thing's got EZSmart written all over it. :D

Greg

Chris Padilla
05-04-2005, 7:37 PM
:eek:

:rolleyes:

:)

:p

Earl Kelly
05-04-2005, 9:26 PM
There's nothing like good taste. Yeah, right. Did it say what this guy does, looks like some Lawyers homes I've been in. I imagine he has close to $150,000 in that room. I think the chairs alone are $1500 ea.

OH well, some gold leaf artist had a big job.

Jim Barrett
05-04-2005, 10:38 PM
I have seen the ultimate "home theater" at my boss's estate..then again you would expect one of the top 10 richest people in the world would have an awesome theatre!! He gets some nice movies in there as well. He has movie night where employees and their guests are invited!

Jim

Bob Borzelleri
05-05-2005, 12:15 PM
He must have run out of money somewhere between the velvet drapes and the IKEA shelves.

...Bob

Rob Russell
05-05-2005, 1:02 PM
A bit too gaudy for me and the electronics are fairly low end ...

Steve,

I recognize at least some of the electronics and I'd hardly call them "low end". He's got a Sunfire Theater Grand and Cinema Grand Signature Series - those are at least $7K for the pair. I know it's Sunfire because that's what we have (although not the Signature series).

One interesting thing about the Sunfire equipment is the amplifier technology. It runs extremely cool, such that the 200 w/channel 5-channel amp we have can be put in an enclosed stereo cabinet and it won't cook. That's actually a major reason I bought that specific equipment.

Rob

Steven Wilson
05-05-2005, 4:01 PM
I recognize at least some of the electronics and I'd hardly call them "low end". He's got a Sunfire Theater Grand and Cinema Grand Signature Series - those are at least $7K for the pair.

Rob, I recognize a fair amount of that gear and much of it is fairly low end, and the audio chain does rely on it's worst link. I wouldn't wish Behringer gear on my worst enemy. Radio Shack banana plugs (junk), get something useful from any recording studio - video production supply place (I like Markertec). The cabeling isn't bad for a low end project studio, which is Ok for a home theater but definately not mid or high end. I like the Canare cable for noisey analog interconnects (used in the WickedCables ) and the Tributaries cables aren't bad for a low to mid-end . The Sunfire gear is fairly decent (kind of mid-end gear) but he's feeding them with fairly low-end components. His signal path has too much quality variance from source to speaker for my liking but then again he's putting together a home-theater and sound is a bit secondary to the video component. Given the columns and stuff in the room I'm concerned about multiple reflections and the resulting effects on imaging with the audio.

Rob Russell
05-05-2005, 4:58 PM
I didn't recognize any of the other stuff and will take your work for what it is. I do agree with the position that the weakest link becomes the determinant of overall quality.

Guess that's why I don't like watching VCR tapes anymore ... :rolleyes:

Jason Roehl
05-05-2005, 7:29 PM
I have seen the ultimate "home theater" at my boss's estate..then again you would expect one of the top 10 richest people in the world would have an awesome theatre!! He gets some nice movies in there as well. He has movie night where employees and their guests are invited!

Jim

Hmmm...top 10 of richest persons, location Washington...your boss wouldn't have the initials W.G., would he?

Chad Pater
05-05-2005, 9:35 PM
I agree about this. I have what I'll call a mid-range Sony Home Theater setup for the audio/DVD. (DAV-FC8) It's no Bose system, but it will easly knock the house down when I have it at the volume level I enjoy...the sub makes all the difference in the world in these systems for watching action video and even HiDef concerts in 5.1 surround via Comcast cable. It would never pass muster for an audiophile listener, but for what I paid for it (AMEX points, actually... ;) ) it's just grand!

I have something very similiar (Sony DAV-FR1 750 watts) We love ours too....however running the wires thru the attic isn't something I want to do again anytime soon. :)
Chad

Jim Barrett
05-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Not quite, a good buddy though...PA....

Hmmm...top 10 of richest persons, location Washington...your boss wouldn't have the initials W.G., would he?

Bill Lewis
05-06-2005, 7:12 AM
Ok Jim, if you're hanging aroung people like that, we want to see pictures of your shop!