PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #2 "Sweetheart"

Karl Laustrup
04-29-2005, 7:40 PM
Went to a local "Antique" place today. Was just browsing, kind of looking to see if they had any planes. They had a total of 4, two of which I could not see a name, and they were not even worth the $18 or so dollars that they were asking. The other was a woodie, but I don't know who, what or anything else about it.

They did have a Stanley #2 "Sweetheart" from the 20's according to the tag. It was behind glass, so I couldn't get a real close look at it. I was going to have someone open the case so I could get a closer look, but then decided against that, because that's when I saw the price $450.00. :eek: With the word "FIRM" after the price. Decided I didn't need to see it that bad.

While it was clean it was not impressive like some of the ones shown here. Not having started on the "slippery slope" I don't know that much about them. Is that a good price? Is it a good plane? Just curious.

Dave Anderson NH
04-30-2005, 6:07 AM
Roger Myers and I were at the Live Free Or Die (LFOD) tool auction in Nashua NH yesterday and noted that some of the prices have moderated a bit. #2s have been in the $350 to $50 range for the last 3-4 years, but yesterday they seemed to have dropped a bit and one in mediocre shape went for $250. Generally, it seemed that the prices on relatively common items have dropped a bit from the last few years.

Alan Turner
04-30-2005, 6:49 AM
Dave,
That is good news indeed for likes of the user class! Shall I send you an order? Just kidding. Right now I am into the electron acquisition stage, (and wiring stage) what with a 2d shop to build and fit out. I have been saving duplicates of handtools now for about 1 1/2 years, once I made the decision to open a studio. Only thing I'm mad at (only at myself of course) is that I didn't pick up a couple of panel saws from Tom Law when I went to the PATINA show in March. They were not gorgeous, but they were OK, and all were filed by Tom, and a saw filed by this expert is a different experience indeed. Next year, next year. . . .