PDA

View Full Version : Latest Bowl, and was able to save this piece of walnut.

Anthony Diodati
01-13-2013, 2:10 PM
Don't know if you remember Walnut Charlie, used to sell on e bay, I brought a chunk of walnut about 10 years ago, Don't know if I used part of it, had a crack that persisted in the final turning. Did super glue it.
The shellac/wax finish is by no means flawless, but the way everything was going, I thought best to leave well enough alone. but the thing is, I got sort of too thin on the bottom, as careful as I was (trying to be) but it was OK.
But when I was power sanding, somehow the pad caught, and ripped a hole in the bottom. I cleaned it up with the parting tool, and made a piece shaped like a top hat, and glued it in from the top side of the bowl. The next day, I started to turn the piece down, and the glue started to show. So I just turned it more, thinking I would cut the piece out, and again, making it a tight fit glue it in up from the bottom of the bowl.
But there must have been enough glue and area on the side of the patch and the bottom thickness of the bowl, cause it looked good. Could have matched the grain a little (A Lot) better.
Bowl is only about 6" across, and 3" tall.

Brian Kent
01-13-2013, 2:13 PM
The walnut is beautiful in this piece, and the target in the center sure beats having a funnel at the end of the process.

Roger Chandler
01-13-2013, 2:45 PM
Good save!

Anthony Diodati
01-13-2013, 4:04 PM
This is the bottom, again, I could have gotten it closer, but I thought I'd better leave it alone before something happens.

Tom Porter
01-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Anthony,

Here's the one I mentioned. The pics aren't that great. The bowl is a little over 8 inches across and about 4 1/2 inches tall. You can see how it warped when it dried but that doesn't other me. It's the only second bowl I made.

Anthony Diodati
01-14-2013, 11:00 PM
I like it, the warping is cool, really pretty grain on that one.
What is the finish?

Tom Porter
01-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Salad Bowl finish from General Finishes. Wanted something food safe; my wife likes it as a fruit bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Really nice looking bowl and the walnut is really nice.