PDA

View Full Version : Router, Bit and Adapter

Bud Millis
01-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Router PC model 1001
Bit 8 mm 5/16" straight, cut dia by Whiteside
Adapter 8 mm by Whiteside

I'm in the process of cutting a large order of dovetails and using a Leigh dovetail jig. The problem that I am having is the straight bit keeps advancing after 5 or 6 dovetails. Starting at the line, it slowly creeps below the line. Between the 1/2" adapter, the 8 mm adapter and the straight bit its not holding tight in the router.
Its tighten to the max. The one thing that concerns me is the 8 mm adapter sits proud of the nut the tightens everything down. It sits proud by about a 1/4 -5/16". Is this normal? If so, what am I doing wrong and what can I do to correct the issue(s).

Thanks -

glenn bradley
01-13-2013, 1:19 PM
The adapter should fully seat in my experience. The PC arbor may not be deep enough to allow this(?). The fact that you get creep at all would have me looking for an alternative. A router that will accept the adapter or an 8mm collet for the router you have. All my routers have two wrench collets. I use the one-hand method for tightening and have never had bit creep. There is no need to bear down on a collet. Something is not correct and that usually means err on the side of caution and correct it or walk away. No one wants to experience a bit leaving the collet at 30,000 RPM :)

Jim Foster
01-13-2013, 1:24 PM
Have you tried a new collet?

Stephen Cherry
01-13-2013, 1:26 PM
http://www.precisebits.com/products/equipment/pc_collets_nuts.asp

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/8mmcolletforporter-cablerouters.aspx

Why not just get an 8mm collet? I have the precisebits collet, (1/8 and 1/4, not 8mm), and they work great.

Myk Rian
01-13-2013, 1:42 PM
Is the shank 1/4"? If so, get the correct collet.

Thomas Hotchkin
01-13-2013, 1:46 PM
Bud
Clean your router collet and adapter. I have had this problem on both of my PC routers. A clean collet and clean bit will help. There two different way of torque measurement, dry or lubed torque. I found that my PC routers had no bit creep with lubed torque. I place a very small amount of graphite base thread lube on the threads and metal contact areas, not on bit or adapter. This helped greatly. Tom

pat warner
01-13-2013, 1:58 PM
Measure the shank for affirmation; you don't want to bend things up.
But, to be sure, line up the splits in the sleeve with as many splits in the collet, as possible.
Indeed, many sleeves are longer than the 690 collet is deep.
Torque min: 15-20 pounds with 8-10" wrenches.

Bud Millis
01-13-2013, 4:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have gotten a new 5/16" cut dia bit to use in the 1/4" collet. I'll continue to look for different adapter(s) for the 1/2" collet. The overall length on the current adapter is 1.25" and I just don't feel comfortable using something that sticks so far out of the original collet. I use the one hand 2 wrench method all the time and never had problems.

Jim Foster
01-13-2013, 4:49 PM
What type of bit are you using? Straight edge, spiral up-cut or spiral down-cut. I had problems with a spiral up-cut I think (not straight-cut). I used it with an older style 1/2" collet and it kept walking down on me as I used it. Using the same collet, I don't have this problem with any other bits, the downward force due to the up-cut spiral must be pretty significant.

My assumption has been that I need a new collet, but I have not used this bit again and might not, so I have not confirmed the solution.

Bruce Wrenn
01-13-2013, 9:44 PM
www.elairecorp.com makes all kinds of replacement collets for PC routers, and about half Highland's price.