PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable Feet???

Carroll Courtney
01-13-2013, 8:43 AM
Guys,sorry for the subject but who else to ask than bunch of woodworkers.By the days end my feet feel like they are twice my age and that makes me feel like I am more tired than I should be.Yes,I may be alittle over weight but not by much and I am getting closer to 60.Alittle about myself so that maybe someone here can relate. I work for a school district and walk the hallways alot,climb stairs going into mechanical rms,climb ladders,etc but I do also get alittle windshield time going from one school to another.Right now I wear Redwings off brand work shoes which is comfortable for about 5hrs into the work day,then I will slip on my snickers(up north) tennis shoes(down south)and that helps out for about couple of hrs.When I get home I want to play or work in the shop but I first take off the shoes,let the feet rest then try to get after it.
Where I work it is not required to wear steel toe shoes and I am happy w/the Redwing off brand(Worx) so I am looking for suggestions for the second half of the day.Right now during the second half of the day I wear NB cheap shoes for walking.I am willing to spend what ever it takes but I don't want to have one of those moments where I say"I won't buy these again".I'm at the point to where I am tired of being tired(I'm healthy,noting wrong)its just my feet are killing me and I want some relief.:confused:I'm open for suggestions so please let me know what work for you----Carroll

David Weaver
01-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Crocs and sneakers. The only thing I have against the crocs as a hand tool woodworker is that they seem to be designed to hold maximum shavings in their tread.

Stephen Tashiro
01-13-2013, 10:36 AM
my feet are killing me l

In what way are they killing you? Pain around your toes? Plantar faciitis? Achilles tendon sore?

Jim Matthews
01-13-2013, 11:11 AM
+1 on Crocs for the shop.

I keep mine at the bottom of the stairs - no shavings tracked into the house, that way.
I added heavy rubber mats (horse stall liners or weightlifting room pads) around the bench.

My knees and ankles last for three-seven hours, depending on what I did the day before.
The rubber mats have saved a couple tools from what would have been a drop to bare concrete.

It's MUCH cheaper to accommodate the aches than deal with surgery.
Crocs are cheap - try them out, awhile.

Ted Calver
01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Another consideration....have you tried support hose? They come in all kinds of styles and compression types. I find they help me a lot when on my feet all day. Sigvaris is a good brand.

Tim Morton
01-13-2013, 11:29 AM
I am on my feet a lot too, and I find that Keen makes the most comfortable shoe for my feet. And I switch up which pair I wear every few days. Not sure why you are switching mid day, but my guess is that may be causing some of your discomfort. You can find some great deals on keen, check various deal sights like 6pm.com. Good luck with the dogs!!

Carroll Courtney
01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
I knew you jokesters would have fun with this,I like it.No its just the throbbing effect and I switch shoes mid day cause it provides alittle relief for about an hr or so.No Crocs at work but at home that sounds good and Tim I will also check into Keen and thanks for the .com--Carroll

glenn bradley
01-13-2013, 1:36 PM
Ah feet, my arch (no pun intended) nemesis. I have what I have always called wimpy feet. I have trouble with any synthetic shoes. Tennis shoes with leather uppers are about as close as I get. I have a pair for each day of a slightly different style. Wearing the same shoe 2 or 3 days in a row is really uncomfortable. I guess I need to shift the discomfort slightly. I have found no cheap shoes that are workable and I am always on the prowl. Leather uppers with a leather foot bed work best for me and I can't deal with the "arch-support" many shoes have. Columbia low hikers do well in the shop but, I recently shopped for a new pair and despaired at the reduction in quality ** sigh **. I am still looking for at least one pair of replacements and I think Danner is going to win this time around. Good luck.

Dale Cruea
01-13-2013, 2:18 PM
Find a pair of shoes that will last all of your work day.
The first pair of shoes are what is giving you problems.

You can not restore your feel with another pair of shoes. Just resting your feet does that.

Try another pair of work shoes that feel good to you after an hour.

Good work shoes will support the entire foot and ankle without localizing one spot to support all or most of your weight.
Do you have high arches?
If so, you may need a higher arch in your shoe. None if you have flat feet.

Jim Koepke
01-13-2013, 2:56 PM
Most of the time my feet are covered by Red Wing safety shoes.

A friend who is a nurse swears by Chippewa Shoes. Nurses tend to do a lot of time on their feet.

One thing that I find helpful when the shoes are off is to massage my feet. Sometimes this is done by hand, other times it is done by rolling my feet over various rollers.

If you have doubts about the power of a good foot massage, just take off one of your shoes and rub it on a rounded rock for a few minutes.

jtk

Phil Thien
01-13-2013, 3:06 PM
Maybe it is the off-brand Redwings causing some grief, have you thought about starting the day in sneakers, and seeing how long they take you before you feel like you want to switch to something else?

Jim Koepke
01-13-2013, 3:20 PM
There are also insole inserts which might offer some relief.

jtk

Rick Potter
01-14-2013, 2:15 AM
San Antonio Shoe company (SAS). Made right there near you. They really helped me.

Rick Potter

Montgomery Scott
01-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Go to a podiatrist and get a real diagnosis. Most likely no pair of boots or shoes will fix the problem.

Harry Hagan
01-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Go to a podiatrist and get a real diagnosis. Most likely no pair of boots or shoes will fix the problem.

Pain is the body’s way of letting us know that something’s not right. It’s a symptom. You need to determine what’s causing your foot pain rather than just dealing with the symptom. You’re on the right track by asking for help.

Ask your doctor if they know of someone in your community who can help you determine the underlying cause(s) of your foot pain. Good luck. I’ve been there.

Charles McKinley
01-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Have you had your blood sugar checked???? I would have it done along with a trip to the podiatrist.

I use Spenco Insoles.