PDA

View Full Version : Band saw issues

kevin nee
01-12-2013, 6:39 PM
I hit a screw with my bandsaw tonight. I need to finish this project. Any tips on what size file and procedure to use. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Lee Schierer
01-12-2013, 8:23 PM
I'm guessing you want to try to sharpen the blade. It can be done, but it will take a long time. File type would depend on the configuration of the teeth. You'd be better off buying a new blade, even if it is a cheap one from one of the Borgs.

glenn bradley
01-12-2013, 9:00 PM
I agree with Lee. If your bandsaw is a generic 14" machine, most box stores will have a blade to get you through. I keep two and in some cases four of the blades I use the most for just such an occasion. Even if you get a blade to get you through, I would order some quality blades with a backup for each blade you use a lot to prevent any high blood pressure on future projects.

Joe Angrisani
01-12-2013, 9:09 PM
Hard to say without knowing blade details.

There was a thread recently about sharpening (a Woodslicer, I think). I can't seem to find it, maybe someone else knows. But the results were a better-then-ever blade. Anybody recall that thread?

Myk Rian
01-12-2013, 9:15 PM
If you hit metal, then you need to do more than just sharpening.
You will have to set the teeth, joint the blade, then sharpen.
Buy a new one, or 2.

Joe Angrisani
01-12-2013, 9:22 PM
If you hit metal, then you need to do more than just sharpening.
You will have to set the teeth, joint the blade, then sharpen.
Buy a new one, or 2.

Ah........

Richard Coers
01-12-2013, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't call that a band saw issue, I'd say operator issue. I prefer a dremel tool with a fiber cutoff wheel. I dress the back of each tooth. I usually only sharpen blades around 3 or 4 teeth/inch on the saw, but this video shows doing smaller teeth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wht-30Oh4zQ

lowell holmes
01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
+1 for the Dremel tool. You can sharpen blade (105") in about 10 minutes or less. I use a chain saw diamond sharpening bit.

Gus Dundon
01-14-2013, 4:19 PM
Were you able to solve the problem with band saw blade?