PDA

View Full Version : Cherry/Ambrosia Maple box

Roger Chandler
01-12-2013, 6:03 PM
This is another I did today for the demo next week. I did not have enough cherry to make a lid for it, and I thought the ambrosia maple would be a better contrast than walnut on this cherry, but it is a bit bland for my tastes..........I like combinations that pop, but this one is okay. Sometimes one just has to use what they have on hand! ;)

Size is 5-1/2" wide and 4.75" tall at the knob. Still have a bit more finish work to do on it after the Woodturers finish cures out..........comments always welcome!

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2013, 6:10 PM
Great looking box Roger. I do like the wood combo.

Roger Chandler
01-12-2013, 6:38 PM
Great looking box Roger. I do like the wood combo.

The cherry/maple is not bad.......of course over time the cherry will darken, and probably in a few months this will pop more than now.......I think the flash on the camera also made it look a bit washed out.......Thanks Bernie!

Harry Robinette
01-12-2013, 6:51 PM
There you go again Roger making more beautiful boxes.I think your getting the idea.
Really nice work Roger they are beautiful.

Roger Chandler
01-12-2013, 6:52 PM
There you go again Roger making more beautiful boxes.I think your getting the idea.
Really nice work Roger they are beautiful.

Much appreciated, Harry! Thanks for the kudos!!! My point at making these is to show some different styles to the demo audience next Tuesday.....I have about 8 different styles and wish I had the time to do a couple more styles as well, but one has time constraints and cannot just turn all the time! :D

Kathy Marshall
01-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Another nice box Roger! Nice wood combo and I think it will only get better when the cherry has aged a bit. Looks like you'll have a nice variety to show your audience!

Roger Chandler
01-13-2013, 1:01 PM
Another nice box Roger! Nice wood combo and I think it will only get better when the cherry has aged a bit. Looks like you'll have a nice variety to show your audience!

Thanks for taking a moment to look and comment Kathy!

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-13-2013, 1:16 PM
Roger, You are becoming the king of boxes. This is another very nice example.
faust

Roger Chandler
01-13-2013, 2:05 PM
Roger, You are becoming the king of boxes. This is another very nice example.
faust

Naaah.....:rolleyes:...that title clearly belongs to Richard Raffan or Mike Stafford! :) But thanks anyway for your appreciation of my work Faust.......much appreciation!!!;)

Anthony Diodati
01-13-2013, 2:53 PM
Nice, What is the dark inlay looking lines?
Is it an epoxy or burned in with a wire or neither??

Roger Chandler
01-13-2013, 2:54 PM
Nice, What is the dark inlay looking lines?
Is it an epoxy or burned in with a wire or neither??

They are indeed burned in with a wire, Tony.......

John Keeton
01-13-2013, 3:55 PM
Nice work, Roger. Don't forget about the use of dye for contrast. That Ambrosia maple will take dye quite easily and give you the contrast you wanted. In fact, black and cherry go very well together IMO. Personally, I do not like walnut and cherry together. They seem to look just OK initially, but as the walnut lightens and turns toward amber, and the cherry darkens with more red, the combination just doesn't look pleasing to me. Others evidently feel differently about that.

Roger Chandler
01-13-2013, 4:47 PM
Nice work, Roger. Don't forget about the use of dye for contrast. That Ambrosia maple will take dye quite easily and give you the contrast you wanted. In fact, black and cherry go very well together IMO. Personally, I do not like walnut and cherry together. They seem to look just OK initially, but as the walnut lightens and turns toward amber, and the cherry darkens with more red, the combination just doesn't look pleasing to me. Others evidently feel differently about that.

Dyes........had not considered that when I made this box John. I have a couple of colors of RIT on hand that could be used, but that never crossed the old noggin! I guess in my hurry up to get something done before Tuesday's demo, I was just focused on finishing the project.....perhaps not so poetic, was it? :o

Time always seems to be in short supply for me, but perhaps I need to take more time with things!