PDA

View Full Version : Laser Skipping Lines

Mark Maslonkowski
01-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Ok so I have a 7 Month old Epilog 60 Watt Helix. When I first got the unit It would not fire at all so it was determined that I had some door sensor problems. This was resolved when some new sensors were sent out by epilog and it has seemed to fix the problem. Now 7 months down the road when I run a project I will get gaps in my rastering(See Picture Below). I have extensivly cleaned the unit and checked alignment finding no problems. Can anyone point me in the right direction I will call Epilog on Monday but in the meantime any ideas would be great. The gaps seem to be completely random one time in one place one time in a differn't place and sometimes not at all. Any and all help would be great.

Maslonkowski250848

Mark Maslonkowski
01-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Forgot to add that the laser is going over these areas it's not ligh it jumps ahead.

Scott Shepherd
01-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Have you tried flipping the encoder cable around? You can switch it. I don't know if that will help, but I'd try it. I've seen it used as a solution for a lot of issues over the years. Sounds like you've already ruled out all the optics, etc., so that would be my next try. Just unplug both ends, plug it back in, switching ends.

Is this every time or random? Same place or random place on the Y-Axis? If you run that same job again, will it skip that exact same spot?

Mike Null
01-12-2013, 10:59 AM
I wonder if this might be a corrupted file??????

Mark Maslonkowski
01-12-2013, 12:58 PM
It is completely random I can move the project to a different spot on the bed and it will do it in a different spot. I think. May still b having a problem with a interlock sensor. Anyone have any success bypassing them with a jumper.

greg lindsey
01-12-2013, 1:14 PM
I don't see how the interlock can cause this problem intermittently, I have not run a Helix, but I would check the ribbon cable that goes to the x-motor and flip it around, as Scott described. If that doesn't solve the problem, them I would pull the encoder strip (clear strip with lines printed on it) under the cover on the right side (where mine are) and inspect it. This cable cannot be flipped over it has the printing only on one side. If you see even the slightest part of any lines that are scratched or missing, it will have to be replaced. Otherwise try cleaning it with just some warm water and dish soap, do not use any alcohol or chemical based product on it.

Scott Shepherd
01-12-2013, 1:15 PM
Did you try flipping the encoder cable yet? Those cables are known to be problem issues from time to time. Flipping it will tell you if it's a bad cable. It's a 3 wire(pin) cable. Just swap ends.

Joe Pelonio
01-12-2013, 2:07 PM
Did you try flipping the encoder cable yet? Those cables are known to be problem issues from time to time. Flipping it will tell you if it's a bad cable. It's a 3 wire(pin) cable. Just swap ends.
That works on the Legend, not sure if the Helix is the same. It has 6 connectors but uses only the last 3 so flipping it will keep it going until you can get a replacement from Epilog. That has happened to me before. Also clean the encoder strip itself, that is vertical and goes across the beam, using alcohol. That should be in your manual.

Scott Shepherd
01-12-2013, 2:27 PM
That works on the Legend, not sure if the Helix is the same. It has 6 connectors but uses only the last 3 so flipping it will keep it going until you can get a replacement from Epilog. That has happened to me before. Also clean the encoder strip itself, that is vertical and goes across the beam, using alcohol. That should be in your manual.

It works on the Helix, that's the only one we ever owned and we were able to flip it (told to flip it by Epilog).

greg lindsey
01-12-2013, 3:06 PM

I know that the manual says cleaning with alcohol is OK but I was told by tech support that they are ink printed now and NOT to use anything but soap and water. Just an FYI.

Mark Maslonkowski
01-13-2013, 9:55 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for there ideas but I think it was one of my front door sensors for the interlock.

Maslonkowski

Richard Rumancik
01-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Glad to hear you have it solved; it would make sense that if a door interlock was intermittent, then it would stop lasing until the switch closed again. Does this machine have an LED on the control panel to detect "door open"? That would be a give-away for this type of problem as you would see the LED go on in the "dead" zone.

Cliff Land
01-15-2013, 5:05 PM
noted that you guys have got this worked out. i just wanted to add note on a similar issue. I am running corel x4 with the laser cut plug in on a hurricane laser. occasionally i will have an issue like this. i find that converting the image again seems to clear this up. now, i always preview the job before hitting the go button.

Mark Maslonkowski
01-15-2013, 7:19 PM
Glad to hear you have it solved; it would make sense that if a door interlock was intermittent, then it would stop lasing until the switch closed again. Does this machine have an LED on the control panel to detect "door open"? That would be a give-away for this type of problem as you would see the LED go on in the "dead" zone.

The answere is no kinda, but the control panel would be a great place for these LED's. the answere is kinda because LED Do show this but they are on the control board behind the right end cover.