PDA

View Full Version : WiFi "Phone Card" - is there such a thing?

Stephen Tashiro
01-12-2013, 12:03 AM
I want to give a friend who travels frequently a tablet PC as a birthday present. I've never had a tablet PC myself and I don't travel much. What's a good way to also give some kind of wireless access service plan along with the tablet? Is there such a thing as a WiFi "phone card"? I see that Google advertises some AT&T plans with some versions of their Nexus 7 tablet. is that the way to go?

Gil Alligood
01-12-2013, 6:49 AM
I want to give a friend who travels frequently a tablet PC as a birthday present. I've never had a tablet PC myself and I don't travel much. What's a good way to also give some kind of wireless access service plan along with the tablet? Is there such a thing as a WiFi "phone card"? I see that Google advertises some AT&T plans with some versions of their Nexus 7 tablet. is that the way to go?

I am no geek, but have an Apple iPad with 3G. I called Apple and talked to them about what I wanted before the purchase. All Apple iPads have WiFi built in but models are available that will connect direct to the "net" using either AT&T or Verizon using cell phone towers. With WiFi you must have WiFi in your home or be at a WiFi "hotspot" to connect. Don't know about the other brands. The Apple repr was very helpful. If you are going that route or even if you are not a call to them with your questions will be very helpful. I went with the AT&T iPad but only used the direct connect a month before dropping it. Base plan at that time was $25 monthly. Now just use the WiFi in my home or at WiFi "hotspots". Use of the WiFi does not have the added cost per month.

Keith Outten
01-12-2013, 8:58 AM
Stephen,

Do a Google search on Verizon MiFi 4510L

Curt Harms
01-12-2013, 9:30 AM
Yes, you can get prepaid services that include data. I use a prepaid cell phone provider that uses AT&Ts gophone network. The coverage is quite good east of the Mississippi, not as good in the less populated areas of the west. Their voice services have been fine, never used their data packages. If a tablet has GSM built in, I wonder if it would also work on Tmobile's data network. Tmobile seems like it might offer more bang for the buck if the coverage is there.

http://www.airvoicewireless.com/

Lee Schierer
01-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Does anyone offer a pay as you go service for connecting a laptop directly to the internet?

Brian Elfert
01-12-2013, 10:35 AM
A number of the tablets can be purchased with built-in 3G or 4G data connections that use the cellular networks. The problem with the built-in is you are locked to a particular carrier in most cases and you will pay more for the tablet. A MiFI or similar is probably a better option. Be warned that a data plan can cost $50 to $60 a month.

Jack Lemley
01-12-2013, 10:57 AM

Stephen,

WiFi and "phone car" are two separate functions and require a different means of connection. WiFi connections are typically available at stores such as Starbucks and at home if you have an internet connection with a WiFi router attached. Some places charge a fee for accessing their WiFi network but for the most part WiFi connections do not have an ongoing fee that is charged to the user of the connected device.

A "phone card", also called an aircard and called by other names is available from cell phone carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc) and com with ongoing monthly fees whether you use it or not but can be really expensive if you use a lot of data a month. They typically come with a contract for 1 or 2 years. While aircards may also add WiFi ability to your laptop it will still come with a monthly fee typically $40 or dollars per/mo added to to your current cellphone carrier bill or can be $100+ per/mo on a stand along plan. The prepaid cell market may offer aircards which makes using them a little better to plan your expenses.

Since you state you don't travel much (hotels and the like offer free WiFi - I do travel a lot for business and do have a company aircard but don't need it very often) then you best bet is WiFi only service which the Nexus 7 and other tablets have as a standard feature. So all you need is a home internet connection with WiFi capability and your are set to go. My internet provider CableOne offers a Wifi capable router at no extra charge.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Shawn Pixley
01-12-2013, 11:38 AM
The other thing that can work is having your tablet to be wifi only but your smart phone can act as a hot spot. That is the way I use mine when I travel. If wifi is available I use it. If not, link through your smart phone if the smartphone is inadequate for the task (screen size).

Myk Rian
01-12-2013, 1:31 PM
I want to give a friend who travels frequently a tablet PC as a birthday present.
Can I be your friend too?
My B-day is coming up in March. :D