PDA

View Full Version : Unifence and Biesmeyer question?

Alan Tolchinsky
04-29-2005, 2:36 PM
Hi All, I really like my unfence for all the things it does and its inherent accuracy. But one thing I don't like is when I use a featherboard to apply downward pressure on a board to keep it flat to the table. Like when dadoing. When I do this it makes the rear of the fence rise up and then you loose pressure on your piece. Does a Beis do this and does it clamp to a back rail? The Unifence obviously doesn't but I still like using it. Anybody have a way to prevent this on the Unifence?

Jeff Pilcher
04-29-2005, 2:41 PM
The Biesemeyer that came on my Craftsman 22124 does not clamp at the back of the fence. Not sure if this the case with all Bies fences.

scott spencer
04-29-2005, 2:44 PM
None of the Biesemeyer types clamp at the back but are typically heavy enough that they don't rise. You can always toss a Quick Grip type handclamp on your fence to hold it down.

Rick Lizek
04-29-2005, 5:39 PM
I like the extra mass with a Bies but it will still lift. PM and Modulus make a retrofit rear hold down. A vast improvement on the unifnece is the Uni-T retro fence.
http://www.ttrackusa.com/unifence.htm but you still need to clamp it down.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-29-2005, 6:55 PM
I'll try the clamp method next time to hold down the rear of the fence. It makes sense that the extra mass of the Beis would help with this. I didn't think of the weight difference. Thanks again guys.