PDA

View Full Version : Robo Rest

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2013, 7:32 PM
Well received my Robo Rest today from Reed Gray. What a great piece. It simplifies the sharpening process all the way around. I sharpened my scrapers and bedan tool to give it a whirl and I am extremely pleased with it. Well built for sure. Thanks Reed.

David Gilbert
01-11-2013, 7:54 PM
This looks very interesting. It looks like it would fit right into my Wolverine base. I can't find any reference to it and wonder what the cost is.

Cheers,
David

Ted Calver
01-11-2013, 8:03 PM
Nice! I have one on the way. I need all the help I can get:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2013, 9:13 PM
David it is from Reed Gray aka Robo Hippy. He makes a free standing one and this one which does fit the wolverine jig. They are $85 shipped. I can tell ya it makes sharpening sure simple and repeatable.

Thom Sturgill
01-11-2013, 9:18 PM
And if you go to D-Way you can see one in action on Dave's sharpening videos.

Baxter Smith
01-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Bernie, that certainly looks like a good idea! Would sure beat fussing with different bevels on an adjustable platform.

Mike Stephens
01-12-2013, 9:40 AM
I also received mine this week. Great product. I am very pleased.

I want sharp tools and don't want to spend a lot of time fusing with my jigs.

Good luck with the Robo Rest Reed. Once word really spreads I think they will sell quit well.

Peter Blair
01-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Interesting. I watched the Utube videos and thought "now wouldn't that be great if I could get him to make one to fit my wolverine. Once again, as usual I was a step or two behind the eight ball.
I'm now off to his site to order one!!
Thanks for the thread!

John McCaskill
01-12-2013, 7:51 PM
No site yet, you'll have to PM or email him, but it's worth it!

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2013, 9:30 PM
As John said give him a PM or e-mal. He answers pretty quickly. He told me he is working on a web site. E-mail would be faster.

Glenn Kramer
01-12-2013, 10:14 PM
I have two of Reed's "Robo Rests" on grinders with Dave's CBN wheels. Talk about a marraige made in heaven. As the CBN wheels do not change their diameter as a result of wear, the Robo Rest stays right on the angle set. These rests are very accurate, simple to use and very affordable. When you consider the expense of angle setting devices and time spent fiddling with them....Robo Rests are very reasonable and practical.

I love well thought out tools....and this is one of them. Kudo's to Reed!

neil mackay
01-13-2013, 5:29 AM
Now that's a darn good jig, simple and effective. I guess it'll be awhile before made available in Australia :(

Greg Ketell
01-13-2013, 12:40 PM
I received my RoboRest too. Unfortunately I just had knee surgery so I don't get to use it yet. I did "plug it in" to my wolverine enough to find that I need to raise my grinder 1/4" and move the wolverine 1/4" left before it will fit over my wheel.

I hate being laid up!
gk

Michael Roper
01-13-2013, 2:49 PM
I have the Stuart Batty grinding platforms. It also pivots right at the wheel and has a patent pending for this. When used with their angle gauges you can set an exact angle on a wheel from 10 to 95 degrees. Its height adjustable, allowing the platform to be set a center height of the wheel.

I’ve got both a small and large round platform but there are also two different sizes of square platforms as well. The platforms wrap around my 1” wide wheels and there is a 2” wide version for CBN wheels. The whole unit is precision machined and very rigid. There is also the option to fit it to the Oneway base instead of the SB base, however, the SB base is much more secure. Its worth checking out at woodturning.org (http://woodturning.org/)

Jack Kane
02-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Bernie, I have searched high and low. How did you place an order for the Robo Rest? Web site? E-Mail? Telcon? Any help would be appreciated.
Jack

Jack Kane
02-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Ted, how did you order? How much is the freestanding? Thanks for the help.

Jack Kane
02-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Reed, How about ordering information. E-mail, addy, phone, any other info?
Jack

allen thunem
02-08-2013, 12:22 AM
reed is a member here just send him a pm he will get back with you.

Dan Forman
02-08-2013, 12:39 AM
Are the holes designed to produce a certain measured angle - say for example put the keeper in hole #7 and you get X angle?

Dan

Greg Ketell
02-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Just send Reed a PM with what you want: freestanding or wolverine. He'll get back to you. (But keep in mind he just had a dual hip replacement so he might not get back to you right away.)

Ted Calver
02-08-2013, 12:55 AM
Ted, how did you order? How much is the freestanding? Thanks for the help.
Jack,
Send Reed a PM here for pricing. The one I ordered back at the beginning of January was for the Wolverine (Oneway) system and it was $85 shipped, but I haven't received it yet. I sent Reed a check, since he's not set up for PayPal, and he recently had a double hip replacement, so production may be on hold. He didn't respond to my e-mail asking for an update, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Greg Ketell
02-08-2013, 1:19 AM
Exactly. 20-90 degrees in 5-degree increments.

Are the holes designed to produce a certain measured angle - say for example put the keeper in hole #7 and you get X angle?

Dan

Dan Forman
02-08-2013, 2:00 AM
What a great idea, I hate having to re-find angles on skews, scrapers etc, after going form one to the other.

Dan

Reed Gray
02-08-2013, 2:56 PM
Dan,
#7 would be 70 degrees, 4 would be 40, etc. Like the You Tube clips say, they will not be machine shop perfect, but will be pretty close and repeatable.

robo hippy

Frank Miles
02-08-2013, 7:12 PM
It sure makes life easier.

Glen Blanchard
02-08-2013, 8:24 PM
Got mine today. Waaay cool!!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2013, 8:50 PM
Sorry Jack I hope you found the info. I have been on the road and didn't see your request. I have gotten to use the rest and the gouges I have sharpened with it are within a degree. I am a happy camper and sharpening goes so much faster without having to measure all the time.

Bob Rotche
02-09-2013, 8:22 AM
Just got mine yesterday. Can't wait to give it a try!

Alan Zenreich
02-09-2013, 11:06 AM
I won a RoboRest in a raffle on another forum. I am anxious to see how we'll it works with my 2"x72" belt grinder.

Jack Kane
02-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Ted, Thanks for the info. I have been having a hard time getting a message to him. Double hip??? I had a friend that had that as well. It takes a lot out of a person.
Jack

Jeff Gilfor
02-19-2013, 8:44 AM
Reed sells 'em directly. Just PM him (Robo-hippie). He'll accept checks only. Has them made and ready to ship. Quoted prices are $50 for free standing; $75 for Wolverine-compatible model. $10 shipping should be added as well (so the totals would be $60 or $85).

Dennis Nagle
02-19-2013, 9:00 AM
For the Wolverine compatible model, does the top of the rest have to line up with the center of the wheel to be angle accurate? I use a 6" grinder but if the rest is made for an 8" grinder will it still work for me? Cheers, D.

Dwight Rutherford
02-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Dennis,
Yes the top of the rest will line up with the center of the wheel. I also have a 6" grinder and my Robo rest worked out of the. Great product.

For the Wolverine compatible model, does the top of the rest have to line up with the center of the wheel to be angle accurate? I use a 6" grinder but if the rest is made for an 8" grinder will it still work for me? Cheers, D.

Dennis Nagle
02-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks Dwight.

Josh Bowman
02-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Well received my Robo Rest today from Reed Gray. What a great piece. It simplifies the sharpening process all the way around. I sharpened my scrapers and bedan tool to give it a whirl and I am extremely pleased with it. Well built for sure. Thanks Reed.
I got mine to. Very repeatable angles. I just write the robo rest number on my tool. Go to the grinder and no having to mess with adjustments. Just put the rod in the hole that matches what is written on the tool and grind. It took me longer to type this than sharpen the tool!

Ted Calver
02-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Got mine a bit ago and have been very pleased with the repeatability. Works like a charm.

William Whitfield
03-21-2014, 9:15 AM
How does one order the robo shelf?

Peter Blair
03-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Hi William.
Really easy to get one
Just pm Reed Grey here on the Creek.
He is great to deal with and the Rest is one of the best investments I have made in the Vortex.

Ralph Lindberg
03-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Agreed the DW actually gets her tools sharp the same way every time with ours

BTW, Robo will deliver.... if he is coming to do a Demo (he will be here next week)

steven carter
03-21-2014, 3:27 PM
Just got mine on Monday. First rate service, first rate manufacturing, and design. Don't know why I waited, highly recommended!

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-21-2014, 6:59 PM
Yo Robo,
I think you just sold about ten more tool rests and I didn't even mention that I like mine also. By the way, you are becoming a star on you tube. I'm thinking you should begin marketing your hats as well. The one you wear on the sharpening video is unique. Great shop hat.
faust