PDA

View Full Version : Basement Shop Floor Coatings?

John Dingman
04-29-2005, 1:27 PM
Hey All,

Those of you with basement shops, what do you coat your floors with, if anything? (Besides Sawdust that is http://www.woodworking.org/Exchange/smile.gif ) I have read somewhere about people using epoxy type coatings, or something like that. Right now it's just a plain concrete floor. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
John

Ken Shoemaker
04-29-2005, 2:23 PM
I have used the two part epoxy coating on my floor and I love it. Seems to release dust/dirt very easily. I was worried that, like all concrete coatings, it would flake or peel. It's been on for >2years and looks as good as the day I put it on. Point of fact, I painted the remaing floor in my entire basement. I then used the same product, abeit made for the garage floor. I would not recommend that unless you are willing to "freshen it up" almost yearly. It seems that where the hot tires come to stop it comes off. I have no problem topping it every year. Just wanted you to know.

Let me know how it turns out..... Ken

Maurice Ungaro
04-29-2005, 3:02 PM
Well, I just finished my shop floor with the Rust-o-leum garage floor paint. Went on easy, cured nicely, and equipment moved in. One advantage most folks don't realize is the light reflective properties that the painted surface provides. Rust-O-Leum stresses that cars need to be off the surface for 7 days to allow for proper curing. After that, no problem. Many that I have talked with about this product have had NO problems what-so-ever.

(not associated, yada yada)